1973 Evinrude 50 HP...HELP!!!!!!!

indianboater

Cadet
Hi,I'm new to this so here's a little background.<br />I have a 1973 (50373) 50 hp evinrude with a bigfoot(?) lower unit, 13 3/4x15 prop. it runs good in a barrel or with muffs on, when i put in in the water it runs rough,wont idle and no WOT.<br />can anyone help?<br /> Also, I have a 1978 Stryker 17'6" bass boat, Does anyone know what the hp rating for it is, i have a 115 hp johnson to put on it but dont know if it will be too big, the boat came out new with a 85 johnson. thanks for any help :)

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1973 Evinrude 50 HP...HELP!!!!!!!

indianboater -If it runs only with the muffs try filling the barrel with water and see if it runs. If not its the back pressure being put on the exhaust from the water. This could be a merid of things. If you changed any carb settings that would be a place to start. Check to see all the linkage is moving free. EG:(timing) <br />Any adjustments are to be done in the water with either a test wheel or if need be a prop,the hard part is the boat has to be unrestrained.<br />steve

indianboater

Cadet
Re: 1973 Evinrude 50 HP...HELP!!!!!!!

thanks for the reply, steve.<br />i got it to run, a missfiring plug(go figure!)was to blame, along with misadjusted carbs.<br />top speed on this stryker is 32mph!<br /> need more but need STRYKER help!<br /> If anyone knows anything about a Stryker bass boat please REPLY!<br /> thanks