Coating inside of hull with resin??? JB, Can you move this to Projects?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I'm finally back on my floor restoration project, almost full speed ahead. I finished the tear down and now am starting to prep everything necessary before floor and foam. <br /><br />I'm going with my original mahogany stringers, with only slight deterioration, and will saturate them in CPES. The only parts that I will replace are the 2 x 8 top caps on my motor mount stringers. I will also fill the 4.5" void (originally foam filled) between the outboard stringers and the main 3 x motor mount stringer, with laminated and CPES'd fir 2 x 6's.<br /><br />Would it be a good idea to coat the entire inside bottom of the hull with a coat of epoxy resin? The large weave hull fabric appears fairly well saturated but you can feel signifigant texture from the weave. If polyester hulls have any tendency to weep, it would seem to be a good idea to give it one coat of epoxy, to seal it.<br /><br />What do you think?<br /><br />ps. sorry I put this in the wrong forum.<br /><br />
029448.jpg

BillP

Captain
Re: Coating inside of hull with resin??? JB, Can you move this to Projects?

It's a waste to coat a trailer boat hull. Osmosis problems are from boats that sit in the water full time. When coated for protection it is done on the exterior.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Boomer,<br /><br />No educated answer here but my 88 Cruisers has been sprayed with epoxy making the bilge easier to clean and much neater looking that others I have owned (it has a light grey pigment to it). With this said it is not uncommon or unusual to spray on an epoxy. If it is only a slight cost I would recommend it.

crab bait

Captain

only if you can get a 'good' coat for sure on everthing.. if not it would be a waste.. as in 'do it all ..if not ,, don't bother.. <br /><br />a trailered boat still gets plenty of water in the hull and it's dank an rots..

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Crab bait, I added a picture of the cleaned out hull, now with all the remaining woodwork coated in CPES. You can get a better idea of the extent of the exposed inner hull that I would coat, if prudent.<br /><br />Pointer, I hope to at least add a color to the bilge area as I am building the glass back over the rebuilt motor mount stringer boxes.

crab bait

Captain

that's perfect.. !! goferit..<br /><br />it's not a waste imho.. you've gone this far.. whats a gallon.. <br /><br />don't need/don't want it thick.. just a thuro good coating or TWO.. use a small foam roller an a 'throw away' brush.. <br /><br />it goes on thick ,tho.. work it good .. alittle can/does go along way.. <br /><br />looks like you done/did a fine job so<br />far.. looks great..!!<br /><br />if'n you hadn't .. make some small 'mouse holes' in stringers an cross members an coat .. as per water can escape to bilge..<br /><br />also,, before you floatation foam run 'conduits' for fuel lines, wires, cables, steering an controls.. <br /><br />1 1/4 black corregated 'sump pump' line works great an it's very flexiable..