Evinrude quality without service

G DANE

Commander
I borrowed my brotherinlaws 6 hp 1976 fisherman for a fishing trip this weekend. It iddled rough, but after i tightened the gasket around the lowspeed adjust - perfect. When home after trip, i let it iddle in harbor. This thing iddles like a 4 stroke!! I let it run 5 min, it didnt even miss one beat. Now to the piont: He never cleaned or rebuild carb, nor took anything apart on this motor. He never drains carb after use or wintherizes in any way. He changed impeller 5 years ago for first time ( we had to grind it of driveshaft ) It runs like a champ - he dont deserve it !!

fireman 757

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Evinrude quality without service

I have a 75 9.9 johnson that is the same thing. I had to put a powerpack on it 4 years ago. I do try to remember to run the fuel out at year's end but you keep thinking you might go fishing one more time... Of course the next spring it takes about 30-40 pulls to start but then it runs like a champ. this engine has too many hours to count but I will never sell it. I've stuck with Johnson ever since. Glad to hear that someone else is as estatic about these engines as I am. Maybe if your nice to him he will leave it to you in his will!!!

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

G DANE -- I don't think Ollie Evinrude would have been able to explain why some folks have such good luck with so little effort. Maybe Kierkegaard could. My dad never appeared to take care of his motors when he had one, and they always seemed to run for him when they were supposed to. He had a nice little Wizard Super 5 that he bought from a neighbor, and it ran like a top with no service at all. When he was too old to use it and it ended up in my garage, I was never able to keep it running right.<br /><br />There is a lesson there somewhere, but I'll be darned if I understand it.<br /><br /> Regards,<br /><br /> Curt

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Hello Oldboat.<br />Sounds like your dad had a real existentionalist engine.