beaver tail or electric?

hman2142

Cadet
I have a 1975 16' Crestiner bowrider with a 70 HP Evinrude 2 stroke. <br />I am trying to get it rigged to do some trolling on a small Lake. The guy I bought it from installed a bow mounted electric that has no markings (looks like 30# to me) to position the boat for bass casting.<br />I also have a 36# MK Endura transom mount with a deep cell for my Rowboat that I was thinking of using.<br /><br />I guess my question is do I put a beaver tail on the 70HP (about $125.00) or buy an extra battery and use both electrics at the same time?<br /><br />I like the idea of quiet trolling and not smelling the 2-stroke, but I want to troll for 4-5 hours at a clip.<br /><br />Any help would be appreciated.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: beaver tail or electric?

Get rid of both motors and install a MinnKota PowerDrive on the bow. They are very battery friendly and you can easily troll with that boat for 4 - 5 hours. Mine goes all day and then some on a bigger boat.

hman2142

Cadet
Re: beaver tail or electric?

Thanks for the reply. <br />I like the Powerdrive set up but damm their expensive. I might try to get by on the cheap for this season and try the two electrics. Worse case... it doesn't work well and I have a spare deep cell battery.