Need trailer light help!!!

wimike

Recruit
Hi, been having problems with the trailer lights. They didn't work at all, so I figured it was a ground wire, and as the wire harness was looking a little corroded, I replaced the pigtail. Now I only get a right tail light ( not brake) and the side marker lights with the headlights on. I believe the wiring on my truck is good as I just used it for a different boat recently. Please help!!!!!! Mike

imported_Warren

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Need trailer light help!!!

Mike......Check at the truck first....<br /><br /> If you have a test light ground it out on the hitch....Actually you better make sure the trailer plug ground is good......The exposed pin on the flat plug is the ground.....<br /><br /> Check the remaining female contacts from there with left-right-brakes.......<br /><br /> Walmart also carries a trailer plug for a few bucks that has led's on it that tells you everything is working......<br /><br /> Start from the plug and work your way to the lights....If you find wiring/corrosion to be the problem rewire the whole trailer so you don't have to worry about it for a while......Warren

90skichallenger

Petty Officer 1st Class

A wiring kit is pretty cheap and they are very easy to rewire. May just want to give that a try.<br />probably take less than two hours depending on your experience level.

Darren Smith

Petty Officer 2nd Class

First, what kind of vehicle? Sounds like there is still some corroded wires not making contact either on the vehicle or the trailer. Check the light bulb itself also.

wimike

Recruit

Hi, problem solved. There were several problems..... Ground loose on truck, corroded pigtail on trailer, ground wire on trailer, but the biggest problem was corrosion inside of the rear trailer lights. Removed bulbs, cleaned contacts and the problem is solved! A sincere thank you to everyone who helped, Mike.

notinbig

Petty Officer 1st Class

Install a set of LED trailer lights and the supplied wiring. You woll never deal with light issues again. I used to replace bulbs untill one shattered into my thumb(push and twist) OUCH! LED is a bit more expensive yet, NO trouble is great!