new boat needs new battery

phatmanmike

Captain
hi all. 1960 glasspar citation 16foot runabout with 1976 mercury 115 inline 6.<br /><br />my old battery from wally world has bit the dust. if i charge it on thursday, its dead saturday just sitton on the shelf in 70 degree temps.<br /><br />my question is this... i want a good battery properly made for my equiptment, i searched on it, but i found that you need to get one for each application....<br /><br />i only run lights, guages, charge my cell phone, and maybe bring my spot light(2 mill candle power)<br /><br />WHAAT SIZE AND BRANDS DO YOU BATTERY XPERTS THINK I NEED? prefer under 80 bucks $$$$$<br /><br />m ikey

D

DJ

Re: new boat needs new battery

Mike,<br /><br />Look for the "dual purpose" types.<br /><br />The Delco Voyager comes to mind.

rpddoc

Cadet

Call me nuts, but I have 3 batteries on a 15'6" Alumaweld with a 60hp Johnson. One group 24 cranking which also runs the bilge pump, one group 27 deep cell for TM only and one group 27 deep cell for aerator, depth finder, navigation lights, backup TM battery and a 2 mill cp spotlight during duck murdering season. All my batteries are Everstart from Wally World. I'll be getting Optima Blue tops for next year though. But for under $80.00, I haven't had any complaints. Charge when you home and before you go out.<br /><br />TakeEm

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

My personal preference for max life and usefulness is to do what some ambulance outfits and presumably other emergency vehicles also- use a true deep cycle battery upsized to handle the CCA needed for cranking. EMS folks use two which is an excellent idea, though if you don't use a trolling motor and don't sit all night with all the lights on you should be OK with one so long as you maintain it properly. The plates on a decent true deep cycle are much more durable than a dual purpose starting/deep cycle battery. (Which is not to say they won't work- they just won't last quite as long)