project boat..progress pics..03/21/07

divo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
project boat..progress pics..03/21/07

I have been looking for an older 16'bare alum. V hull boat to turn into a nice fishing boat. Gut it,new floor, paint, casting deck, livewell,new tiller, pedistals, ect. I found this one on craigslist. I have yet to look at it, prob will this week. I emailed him and he said its a starcraft. It seems to be what I am looking for. He said he will take $600 for it(boat,trailer). He doesn't seem to know what hp it is rated for. It looks like it was a remote steering and I would make it a tiller. How can I find the model# or max hp rating? here's the link<br /><br /> http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/boa/164389547.html <br /><br /> does it have potential? How can I find the hp rating or model# if not on the boat? <br /><br /> Thanks

Terry Olson

Chief Petty Officer
Re: opinions on possible project boat

Looks well suited for what you have in mind. I don't know what the max HP rating might be but for comparision sake I have a 1983 Lund 18' fishing boat of similar depth that is about 6' wide. It's max HP rating is 90 and a 50 moves it out nicely. It can't be much heavier than the one you're looking at I'd guess. <br /><br />Other than that, the boat you're looking at is ready for the conversion you're talking about. The new floors are cut to size so you could cover them with carpet, install your pedestal seat mounts, and mount them down after you paint or finish the rest - if you plan to do so. The rest is cosmetic other than mounting a tiller-steer motor.<br /><br />I think that's a good price for what you're getting assuming it is as described. I'd look at it anyway.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

$600 is a fair to good price depending on the condition of the boat. If you feel the boat is solid, then I think it is well worth the money you spend to customize it to your fishing needs.<br /><br />Regarding the HP rating, I believe a 50 hp will make that boat move along well over 30mph easy. A 25 to 35 might be a more economical choice unless you want to race bass boats. :D

Bondo

Staff member

That's an Old Starcraft Holiday that's had the front deck removed,...........<br />And,... The Trailer is Way Too Short for that hull.........It would have to be Lengthened.....<br />It was probably rated for about 75/80hp,....<br /><br />As far as Potential,.... I don't think it's Worth anymore than the Scrap Value of the Aluminum......<br /><br />There's an Awlful Lot of that boat that's Missing........<br />Offer him the $350.00 that He Says the Trailer is Worth.................<br /><br />Good Luck.....

wildo2ne

Cadet

good looking boat, mine is 2 feet smaller at 14 foot, you might want to think about the casting deck though, I thought it would be a good idea too but vhulls on smaller boats don't work well for casting decks, it makes the boat very tippy and unstable, leave the casting deck for the flat bottom bass or larger vhull boats. Someone correct me on this if I am wrong (I got the info from another post by a user who tried that idea and it did not come out like he wanted)

divo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by Bondo:<br /> That's an Old Starcraft Holiday that's had the front deck removed,...........<br />And,... The Trailer is Way Too Short for that hull.........It would have to be Lengthened.....<br />It was probably rated for about 75/80hp,....<br /><br />As far as Potential,.... I don't think it's Worth anymore than the Scrap Value of the Aluminum......<br /><br />There's an Awlful Lot of that boat that's Missing........<br />Offer him the $350.00 that He Says the Trailer is Worth.................<br /><br />Good Luck.....
I hear ya on the trailer being too short.didn't notice that before, but I dont think it's a big deal...bargining chip though. What parts of the boat missing make it scrap? I plan on building a totally custom interior anyways. Thanks

wildo2ne

Cadet

Your missing seats, controls, console, lights, engine, you will probably want a bilge in there, floor looks badly done and will have to be pulled up and redone, not sure if he coverd the drain with the floor or not, anchor tie off, winch i-bolt, gas tank, battery, straps for gas tank and battery<br /><br />depending on what you want to use it for you will need points to mount bimini, rod holders, electrical panel, ski mounts.<br /><br />probably should fill it with water and make sure it is waterproof, check hull for any major damage along the keel, check for any patch work done to the aluminum (with it completely stripped out like that its possible it may have been sunk) if it has been sunk it is not as big a deal as if it were wood or fiberglass though.<br /><br />thats all I can think of off the top of my head

wildo2ne

Cadet

took a closer look at the picture and I think I can see where the seats used to be, those are important as they are used to strengthen the hull across the beam so it won't buckle, you will definatly want to put those back in, you might need someone who can solder aluminum to make the braces for you. when they are built fill them with float foam to help keep the boat above the water. <br /><br />Also make sure to cut a hole in each side near the bottom of each one so the water can drain to the back

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i think it is a can of worms, he opened and can't get the lid back on. there is no side bracing. the gunnels he added are nice but there is nothing in the front to keep them in place. the trailer can be over come by moving the axle, and adding long bunks, if the springs are heavy enough. let's see if i can give you a mental picture. you take a 2liter soda bottle, cut it in half top to bottom. it no has no side integraty.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

WOW! all I can say is,,,,,,PASS IT BY! There are way many boats on the market that have more of the needed items that can be used. On this one, you are basically getting a carcus. All those needed items add up quickly overshadowing your purchase price. Example - motor, controls, screws, seats, cleats, dash, guages, wires, battery, battery cables, bilge pump, foam, gas tank, live well, trolling motor, hoses, paint, and the list can continue with at least a hundred more things I haven't mentioned.<br /><br />Be patient and wait for the right opportunity to find something more complete. <br /><br />To turn that into what your wanting, you will find out very rapidly that it will be too tipsy with a 5' beam. Sad part of that is the time and money spent to find out that it didn't work.<br /><br />Just being honest and don't want to offend you, but you asked. Good Luck

D

DJ

I agree with the dissenters. It is a Holiday with the deck removed. You have NO crossribs in the bow. It will fold up the first time you stuff it into a wave. <br /><br />You'd be better off by finding an old Starcraft Super Sport (bow rider). They are out there. So are similar boats from Crestliner, Lund, Alumacraft, etc.<br /><br />SS is right, there is too much missing.

divo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by tashasdaddy:<br /> i think it is a can of worms, he opened and can't get the lid back on. there is no side bracing. the gunnels he added are nice but there is nothing in the front to keep them in place. the trailer can be over come by moving the axle, and adding long bunks, if the springs are heavy enough. let's see if i can give you a mental picture. you take a 2liter soda bottle, cut it in half top to bottom. it no has no side integraty.
The gunnels appear to be origional(lower left pic) I think they end where a deck or top of bow used to be. I can see some side braces under it. I think they could easily be tied into a casting deck(installed lower) or extended. what other bracing would be necessary or is missing? I wish I could find a pic of how this boat looked before it was gutted. I really don't need anything but a usable hull and a trailer. I will build the rest, including any bracing( as long as it stays an "open concept" layout). after reading these replies, I believe that if I do make an offer I have some ammo to make it much less. Thanks to all for the replies..

D

DJ

The Starcraft bow riders and Holidays used the same basic hull. However, the bracing was different.<br /><br />The bow riders needed support in the bow because there was no deck.<br /><br />Figuring out bracing would be hit and miss at best. The problem is, you may fold up the bow before you figure out it needs more. :eek: :eek: <br /><br />I can't stop you from buying this, I just think/know you're getting into something that requires allot more than you think.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

I see 300 lbs of scrap aluminum, a couple pieces of rotten plywood, a tiny trailer with may pop tires, bad wheel bearings, and no working lights.

D

DJ

Below is a link to my last large Alum. project.<br /><br />I paid $1,400.00 for what you see, to start. Including a great trailer and a working 90 HP engine, trolling motor and a bunch of re-usable stuff.<br /><br /><br /> http://mypeoplepc.com/members/djohns19/djohns19/

divo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by SS Mayfloat:<br /> <br /><br />To turn that into what your wanting, you will find out very rapidly that it will be too tipsy with a 5' beam. Sad part of that is the time and money spent to find out that it didn't work.<br /><br />Just being honest and don't want to offend you, but you asked. Good Luck [/QB]
Good Point. I was wondering that too. It does seem to be to narrow. I asked him for the width when I emailed him . He said He thinks it's 54" wide, not he 5' as in the ad. Both seem awefull narrow to me for a 16' boat.If it is that narrow(either measurement), That would be a deal breaker for sure. I had a 14' Mirrocraft that had a 64" beam which was not wide enough.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

divo, a good question is this,,,,Just how much are you willing to budget to have this ready for water? <br /><br />I don't know what items that come with, or that you have. Here is what I would suggest to do first. Make a list of things that you know you will need. Don't forget safty items as well. Go to the iboats mall and shop. Get a total of what the outcome will be. <br /><br />If that is the price you are going to pay to get that into the water, then why not find something already to go for that price? That way, you can get out there now and not later.<br /><br />Having all the hardware does make a big difference. BTDT too many times

divo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by SS Mayfloat:<br /> divo, a good question is this,,,,Just how much are you willing to budget to have this ready for water? <br /><br />I don't know what items that come with, or that you have. Here is what I would suggest to do first. Make a list of things that you know you will need. Don't forget safty items as well. Go to the iboats mall and shop. Get a total of what the outcome will be. <br /><br />If that is the price you are going to pay to get that into the water, then why not find something already to go for that price? That way, you can get out there now and not later.<br /><br />Having all the hardware does make a big difference. BTDT too many times
This is going to be a project I want to do. I know what skills it takes, I know about what it will cost, I know how much work/time is involved, I know what material and parts I will need.I have done this before on two 14'ers. They turned out very well. As I stated before, I am not looking for something that needs a little work,or something ready to go. I am looking for a usable hull and trailer. I posted this question because I am not familier with this particular hull. I am looking for opinions on if its feasible to turn this into a fishing boat, If it's too narrow,or heavy,or tall, or short, or if missing bracing makes it unsafe....thats good to know. Telling me I need seats, motor, controls(on a tiller?), and all those other basic items is not what I am looking for. I plan on doing that anyways.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Good Luck, its not easy, but the satisfaction of doing yourself is a great feeling to have. There is nothing like it. A lot of us here can understand why you wish to do it. :D .......SS

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

If you can get the price down a notch, you could go for it. It is not too narrow to do as you propose. I challenge anyone to tip a 16 foot fully rigged boat. You would have to weigh 500 pounds to make that boat tippy. It has shallow deadrise, so it is going to be fairly stable at rest. Its width is suitable for its length, and I don't see it as a negative factor.<br /><br />The floor just looks like unfastened ply, not a big shock that there is some warpage. Get new ply, use this ply, the end result will be the same. Once its bolted down, it'll be fine. As for the front bracing, I will recommend continuing the gunnels all the way to the bow, and tie the gunnels into a casting deck that is set about a foot below the gunnel line. This will tie the front together, and the lower casting deck will help with any potential instability (which I feel will be negligeable in this hull). It is doubtfull this boat had the cross brace seating deals like in the small 12-14 footers. This boat clearly had a front deck, windshields, dash, and conventional steering. Building in a casting deck will give more structure than the original bow deck gave. I see no problems here. <br /><br />I see this as a doable project. Even at the asking price, as long as the hull isn't a leaky mess, I think it is worth pursuing. Who cares if it is missing hardware and little items. Usually all those bits are crap anyway and need to be replaced, so it just makes your life easier to not have to remove old corroded junk. A clean slate is better than a floating junkyard of wires and rusted or broken fittings and such.<br /><br />Trailer isn't a factor, you can alter a trailer in almost infinate ways to suit your needs, and parts are cheap.<br /><br />Could you get a better boat for a bit more green, yeah, but you are looking specifically for a project. This looks like it will suit the needs you have described. Being fearless when it comes to projects, I give it my stamp of approval. Good luck...<br /><br />Still go as low on the price as you can. Bargain hunting 101...