Using comet and Scotch pad for oxidation

Cayo Boater

Cadet
I've read through this forum this is a good method for removing oxidation on my boat. My boat is a dark blue. Won't this scratch??

thunderroad

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Using comet and Scotch pad for oxidation

It sounds kinda harsh to me...I've used liquid Soft Scrub and a soft bristle brush to remove oxidation with good results. Wet it down, spread on some SoftScrub and brush away. If it's not too bad, maybe some light duty rubbing compound would be enough. I'd want to err on the side of caution. You can always go to something grittier if you aren't getting the results you want but if you start out too coarse, you could have some ugly scratch marks to work out. The Comet probably wouldn't hurt but I'd want a pretty fine grit scotch pad if I was determined to do it that way.

LubeDude

Admiral

The comet and scotch pad method is for very seriously fadded boats. The surface must then be machine polished agressivly afterward to shine it back up.

Bondo

Staff member

Won't this scratch??
Ayuh,.........<br /><br />That's what Color Sanding is All About,........ <br /><br />You just Keep Scratching it with Finer,+ Finer,+ Finer,+ Finer,+ Finer,+.............Scratches........... :D <br /><br />Once you get to 1500 grit sandpaper,.....Or So.......<br />Then it's on to Buffing Compounds,+ Polishing Compounds,+ Finally,......... Waxes......... ;)

surlyjoe

Chief Petty Officer

a power buffer (a real one, not the bonnet type) and some cheap ruubing compound will bring almost any gelcoat back to like if its not cracked or worn thru<br />, color sanding should only be used if there are deep scratches or pitting, and then be very careful, gelcoat is hard to match if you need to fix a boo boo...

Pony

Rear Admiral

Wheres Mark 42.....I thought he wrote something on this when he did his MFG.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Check this out:<br /><br /> Polishing <br /><br />If the gelcoat does not have a heavy layer of oxidation, then just do the polisher. The Comet & scrub pad removes the dead gelcoat without worrying about wearing through it with sand paper.

Always Broke

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I’d do a couple test spots on an area least visible, not out in the middle of the bow another words. Start with a light grit no matter what kind of material you use and see if you get the results you want, if you use heavy gritted stuff first you’ll be doing a lot of work to get back to using the light grit and maybe taking off more then you’d like.

Cayo Boater

Cadet

Great, thanks for the help. I'll go ahead and try the polisher first as suggested. So MARK42, are you saying if it's not too bad to use a polisher with a rubbing compound, or the polisher with the comet? One other question: what do you do to bring the shine back to the cowling (sp?? - cover for the engine)? I'm new to boat restoration so need as much info as possible. Thanks!!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by Conchy EL:<br /> Great, thanks for the help. I'll go ahead and try the polisher first as suggested. So MARK42, are you saying if it's not too bad to use a polisher with a rubbing compound, or the polisher with the comet? One other question: what do you do to bring the shine back to the cowling (sp?? - cover for the engine)? I'm new to boat restoration so need as much info as possible. Thanks!!
I mean skip using the scrub pad and comet if it is not bad and go right to polisher and rubbing/polishing compounds.<br /><br />As far as the engine cover, paint does the trick ;) A few members have posted about painting their motors. Seach and ye shall find the posts.

Pony

Rear Admiral

I just actually finished the cowl on a motor. I am currently painting the rest. Click on the link in my signature

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Pony, that cowel looks better than new! <br /><br />Besides using the zinc chromate for below water line, what type of paint did you use on the cowl and rest of motor?

Pony

Rear Admiral

Here is a thumbnail of the Paints<br /><br /> <br /><br />For the cowl I used pretty much strictly plastic-kote lacquers. The only exception is the red which was on one of the plastic cowl decals. I used a paint designed for plastic by krylon. I have had a lot of luck using those lacquers before. The primer was ust some all purpose enamel primer. Oh and of coarse the metal flake blue that plastic-kote makes is great and it looks fantastic. I had used one of the other colors before and with that good expirience I knew I wanted to use it for this project.<br /><br />For the actual motor I am using a Truck/ Sprort Utility paint that I found to almost match the factory blue. I figured it should be fairly durable since I wont be clear coating the leg. Tempo makes the factory color but the only places I found it, they were pretty expensive. For the above the waterline stuff I used metal primer.

Cayo Boater

Cadet

Originally posted by Mark42:<br />
Originally posted by Conchy EL:<br /> Great, thanks for the help. I'll go ahead and try the polisher first as suggested. So MARK42, are you saying if it's not too bad to use a polisher with a rubbing compound, or the polisher with the comet? One other question: what do you do to bring the shine back to the cowling (sp?? - cover for the engine)? I'm new to boat restoration so need as much info as possible. Thanks!!
I mean skip using the scrub pad and comet if it is not bad and go right to polisher and rubbing/polishing compounds.<br /><br />As far as the engine cover, paint does the trick ;) A few members have posted about painting their motors. Seach and ye shall find the posts.

Cayo Boater

Cadet

Mark42, I'm looking into purchasing a polisher off of ebay (the same one you bought). I recently used a orbital buffer with rubbing compound to try and remove the oxidation (with a little pressure). This was my first attempt.It really didn't do much so I'm now thinking of using the Scotch-Brite with Comet. You say to use the "coarsest" Scotch-Brite. I bought the "all purpose" one. Is that coarse enough? (I worry about scratching). Should I wait for the polisher to come in before doing this so I can immmediately follow with it? One more question: is there an attachment to the polisher that I could use instead of the Scotch-Brite (to make it easier). I'm a woman and don't think I'll have the strength to do the job right. Our boat is a 1999 so it's not that old, but living in the Keys, the sun has really oxidized the finish. Thanks!

studlymandingo

Commander

Scratches are scratches, the comet and scotch-brite make tiny scratches as you rub. The amount of time between the scotch-and-comet (sounds like a shot!) and the polisher won't matter unless you are going to wait all season. Go ahead and get as much prep done now, you'll be done sooner. This way I'll know you're done by the time I get down there for lobster sport season. That way you can show me to the sweet spots!!! :D

Cayo Boater

Cadet

So making scratches is a "GOOD" thing?? I think I may be wording this all wrong. What I mean and what I'm concerned about is scratching through the gel coat and really messing things up. MARK42 and others say Scotch-Brite and Comet is good for removing oxidation, which is what I want to do, but I don't want to scratch too deep to mess up. Know what I mean??? Coming down for lobster season, aye? The boat better be done by then!!

studlymandingo

Commander

Yes, scratching is a good thing, it's the only way you'll get the oxidation off. When you sand something, you are essentially scratching it- in varying degrees depending on the "grit" of the sandpaper. This is what the comet and scotch-brite is doing, making tiny scratches and removing a fine layer of the surface. You will want to use the polisher with a polishing compound (very fine "grit") after you have removed the oxidation with something more aggressive. As you start out with the comet, take it easy until you get the feel for how it is working on the surface, it is going to take a little elbow grease, but it will make a huge difference. After you have followed up with the polishing compound, be sure to put a good coat of marine grade wax on the surface to protect it. <br /><br />Now get to scrubbin' lobster sport season is less than 4 months away!!!!!

sailsmanship

Petty Officer 1st Class

I really would'nt use scotch-brite, it makes too much work to get the scratches out that you put in. General Purpose Scotch-Brite which is usually marroon, has 240 grit mineral in it, but with it suspended in nylon it acts more like a 320 grit. The super fine is usually grey and that is 320 grit. It finishes comparable to a 500 grit. When a surface is really bad and I have to wet/color sand, I start out with 600 grit wet and go all way up to 1500 before polishing. A good rubbing compound on a vari- speed polisher at 2500 rpm will do the trick.