changing 16 amp charging system to 40 amp

buddybo

Cadet
Hi, I have a 1987 150 hp blackmax mercury and was thinking about changing the 16 amp charging system to 40 amp. Is this possible? thanks

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: changing 16 amp charging system to 40 amp

Anything is possible if you are determined enough! :)

Understand, it will NOT noticeably charge your batteries any faster.
If you are trying to power a 30 amp (360 watt) stereo there are other options.

What is your reasoning? :confused:

buddybo

Cadet

It is not firing on 1,3,5 and I think it might be the stator that's causing this. I have a 1989 150 hp mariner with a thrown rod that has a 40 amp stator. If this can be done I'll use the stator, flywheel, etc from the mariner on the xr2.

UncleWillie

Captain

So what you really have is a Engine/Magneto Problem, and not an Electrical/Charging problem.
I am not familiar with that Engine but I am sure others will be. If not, Try it!

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

With some engineering you can swap all the 40 amp parts over but you may have to swap the upper bearing housing due to height issues. Also the cranks use different size upper main bearing so check the sizes....

buddybo

Cadet

With some engineering you can swap all the 40 amp parts over but you may have to swap the upper bearing housing due to height issues. Also the cranks use different size upper main bearing so check the sizes....

I have everything changed over except for the main bearing and the housing because the mariner's crank is a different size. Hopefully I can find the right bearing and housing for the xr2 to make this project work. thanks

snowbrd84

Petty Officer 1st Class

Before you pull the flywheel, swap all wires from the top switchbox to the rear switchbox and vice versa. One box fires odd cylinders, one fires even. After swapping, if the same cylinders fire, then look at the stator, if the evens now fire, get another switchbox. Free and easy test, takes about 20 minutes to swap the wires and give it a shot....

Dukedog

Captain

I have everything changed over except for the main bearing and the housing because the mariner's crank is a different size. Hopefully I can find the right bearing and housing for the xr2 to make this project work. thanks

Not sure on this but tha '89/'90 2.0 with tha 40 amp stuff might have had tha 1 1/2 inch crank bearing surface like tha early 2.0's. There should be someone on here that can research it. If I was at home I could find out for sure but......

You can make yours work with a little "southern enginnerin'" on tha rear portion of tha bracket. You will need ta drill and tap a coupla extra 10/24 hloes ta mount tha stator though........

buddybo

Cadet

Not sure on this but tha '89/'90 2.0 with tha 40 amp stuff might have had tha 1 1/2 inch crank bearing surface like tha early 2.0's. There should be someone on here that can research it. If I was at home I could find out for sure but......

You can make yours work with a little "southern enginnerin'" on tha rear portion of tha bracket. You will need ta drill and tap a coupla extra 10/24 hloes ta mount tha stator though........

I've been doing some measuring and I think the crank on the xr2 is 1 1/2 and the 89 mariner's crank is 1 3/8 inches.

This is confusing to me but I think I've got it figured out, I borrowed the original xr2 crank bearing from it's end cap bracket and used it in the mariner's 40 amp end cap bracket. So the 40 amp stator will be mounted back on it's original bracket on the xr2.

Hopefully all the cylinders will fire again when I'm done.

So far I've spent 0 $$$ on this project. Hope it works!!!

Dukedog

Captain

I've been doing some measuring and I think the crank on the xr2 is 1 1/2 and the 89 mariner's crank is 1 3/8 inches.

This is confusing to me but I think I've got it figured out, I borrowed the original xr2 crank bearing from it's end cap bracket and used it in the mariner's 40 amp end cap bracket. So the 40 amp stator will be mounted back on it's original bracket on the xr2.

Hopefully all the cylinders will fire again when I'm done.

So far I've spent 0 $$$ on this project. Hope it works!!!

Now that's tha "research" that's needed ta make things work. Not being at home didn't know for sure if tha OD of tha bearings were tha same! Good for you.......If you have tha clam shell ya might wanna change those too............Did ya change tha divider plate, coil plate and water cooled reg/rectifier?

Last edited:

buddybo

Cadet

Now that's tha "research" that's needed ta make things work. Not being at home didn't know for sure if tha OD of tha bearings were tha same! Good for you.......If you have tha clam shell ya might wanna change those too............Did ya change tha divider plate, coil plate and water cooled reg/rectifier?[/QUOTE
This motor actually has a xr4 hood, it clears the fly wheel okay and yes I had to use the mariner's divider plate in order to use it's coil plate and water cooled reg/rectifier.

Well good news, all cylinders are firing again now so the stator was the problem. Thank everyone for their reply!!!

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer

I lost that bet...my money was on the switch box which fail more often than the stator.........

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

I lost that bet...my money was on the switch box which fail more often than the stator.........
Maybe on that side of the country!!:) I had stators fail while lying in a box while engine was rebuilt!!!!!