grinding gears

Holderman

Recruit
The throttle cable and shift cable were both replaced 2 months ago on my 1976 Sea Arrow 302 888 mercruiser. When shifting into forward and reverse the gears are grinding at times. Do you think the cable should be adjusted?

alldodge

Staff member
Re: grinding gears

Welcome to iboats

Depmds on what you mean by grinding. Can you explain what you mean by grinding?

Holderman

Recruit

I am not sure how else to explain the noise besides a grinding noise. I shift forward and the gears make a loud grinding noise then engage. It does not always happen. Sometimes it will go right into gear. It is also doing it in reverse.

NHGuy

Captain

If it will engage before the throttle takes up then click it into gear briskly. If the engine picks up speed before the gears engage readjust it.
Avoid the grinding by snapping it into gear quickly to minimize the grinding.

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You're probably not shifting quick enough. Your shifts should be brisk.

If you are experiencing this 'grinding' on the muffs...tis to be expected as the shift interrupt switch will not function without a prop load.

Holderman

Recruit

I first noticed it on the water. Today I tested it with muffs on. I am shifting briskly. I will try it out on the water this weekend. thanks guys for your help.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

The throttle cable and shift cable were both replaced 2 months ago on my 1976 Sea Arrow 302 888 mercruiser. When shifting into forward and reverse the gears are grinding at times. Do you think the cable should be adjusted?

Which shift cable? There are 2. One that runs from the remote control to the shift plate (called the 'remote shift cable'), and one that runs from the shift plate to the drive (called the 'lower shift cable')...

You're probably not shifting quick enough. Your shifts should be brisk.
If you are experiencing this 'grinding' on the muffs...tis to be expected as the shift interrupt switch will not function without a prop load.

On the muff the shift interrupt switch should not activate at all. In the water the shift interrupt switch should only ever activate when shifting OUT of gear, NEVER when going into gear....

Chris.....