Worn Gelcoat repair- not a chip or ding...

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have several places on my boat where the gelcoat is actually worn thru- not chipped or damaged like that. The edge is smooth but the glass is visible. How do you guys repair the gelcoat and make it smooth? Obviously I can't just skim on gelcoat because it will stick up. If I sand it down smooth, the glass shows thru again. <br /><br /> Do you grind down 1/16" or so around the area and gelcoat it that way? Matching the color is almost impossible and I don't want a big ugly patch. <br /><br /> By the way, I've stripped my boat down almost completely and am wet-sanding the entire boat in preparation for a major buff job. I'm also replacing all the vinyl graphics due to age and some scratches. I'm repairing all the gelcoat issues as I go. <br /><br /> She should look good again when I'm done. (1993 ProLine 190 Center Console) The buffing is looking like it might be the easiest part of this job. <br /><br /> UFM82<br /><br />Any help is appreciated.

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Worn Gelcoat repair- not a chip or ding...

At that point of thin gelcoat,the only way to repair it would be to build up new gelcoat or paint.Cutting down the fiberglass and then gelcoating it is not the way to repair it.Looks like painting would be the way to go.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Depending on where the worn area is maybe covering it with anti skid material (for foot worn area) or maybe stainless or aluminum sheetmetal in areas that get rubbed by rope and such like around cleats. <br /><br />How did the worn areas get worn?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

You may be able to gel coat that matches from Specrtum Colors, I don't have their number with me right now, but they have locations in WA. and FL. They have many brands of older and current brands of boats already color matched, you just tell them what you have and they can send it to you. To repair it just sand it with some 80 grit, then use a small touch up paint sprayer, the type you can get at the hardware store for about 6 bucks, they work well for repairing small areas.

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

The worn spots are where normal wear occurs- right next to the step on the gunwale in the rear, the front lip around the deck on the bow, etc. It is even wear and the gelcoat has just gotten so thin. <br /><br /> I didn't know you could spray this stuff. I'm interested in that. How do I do that?<br /><br />mark- I thought about an SS wear plate- like the "Scuff Buster" that came with my Keelguard. Do you know of anyplace I can find an adhesive backed piece thin enough top bend around a radius like a Scuff Buster? I'd love to find a piece 20" long and 2" wide. That would be perfect for the bow repair. <br /><br />Thanks for the help. <br /><br />UFM82

Scovill

Recruit

Originally posted by UFM82:<br /> I have several places on my boat where the gelcoat is actually worn thru- not chipped or damaged like that. The edge is smooth but the glass is visible. How do you guys repair the gelcoat and make it smooth? Obviously I can't just skim on gelcoat because it will stick up. If I sand it down smooth, the glass shows thru again. <br /><br /> Do you grind down 1/16" or so around the area and gelcoat it that way? Matching the color is almost impossible and I don't want a big ugly patch. <br /><br /> By the way, I've stripped my boat down almost completely and am wet-sanding the entire boat in preparation for a major buff job. I'm also replacing all the vinyl graphics due to age and some scratches. I'm repairing all the gelcoat issues as I go. <br /><br /> She should look good again when I'm done. (1993 ProLine 190 Center Console) The buffing is looking like it might be the easiest part of this job. <br /><br /> UFM82<br /><br />Any help is appreciated.