Possible transom rot???

mochosla

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi everybody!!!<br /><br />I have found a problem (or so I think) on the transom of my 20' Center console Sunbird. While I was installing a new transducer and speed sensor yesterday, in a couple of the wholes I drilled I either had a bit of water come out or the drill bit came out wet. What was estrange is that out of 4 holes I drilled in a 3X3" area, only one of the wholes was wet. The other one was on the speed sensor. Again, only one of them had water. The transom seems to be very solid. No stress cracks or week areas. I use a 150HP motor and I don't see estrange behavior on the transom when the boat is running.<br /><br />The question is, what should I do? I don't want to take any drastic measures if the problem is not big enough. <br /><br />Please let me know what you guys would advise me to do.<br /><br />Thank you all.

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Possible transom rot???

First off,how old is the boat?Water out of one hole?Time will tell how long the transom will last.<br />I see you are here in Lousiana,so you use your boat year long.You need to find out were the water is getting in.That is a must.Could be coming in at the top plate(decking) and hull or from around one of the bolts that hold the motor on the boat.Use 3m 4200 or 5200 silicon to reseal it.The only way that I know of getting it out is by pulling the drain plug casing out of the transom or drill holes at the bottom of the transom on the inside of the boat NOT all the way thru,just thru the fiberglass and let it dry for about 2 or 3 months or pull a vacuum on it.I don't think heat lamps will do the trick,then again that might work to,just watch out for your fuel tank.

mochosla

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi, I am not in Lousiana. I'm in Californa and probably use the boat about 10 times a year. Somebody else told me about the transom top plate. I will be pulling it it out next weekend.<br /><br />Thank you for the advice.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Take a hammer and tap around on the inside of the transom. A sound like a "whack" indicates solid wood. A "thunk" indicates rot. If you have rot you will be able to find the extent of it by the sound. Once rot has set in it cannot be dried out. It must be removed and the wood replaced.