crankshaft pulley

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
My 1987 4.3l 175 hp engine has a lot of rust on the 3 grove pulley. Does this pulley just unbolt and slide off? I want to trry to clean it up, paint it and not have to spend a fortune for a new one. The alternator and power steering pulleys were a little rusted and I cleaned them up pretty good. If I end up getting another one is there a GM car or truck that has the same 3 groove pulley?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: crankshaft pulley

My 1987 4.3l 175 hp engine has a lot of rust on the 3 grove pulley. Does this pulley just unbolt and slide off? I want to trry to clean it up, paint it and not have to spend a fortune for a new one. The alternator and power steering pulleys were a little rusted and I cleaned them up pretty good. If I end up getting another one is there a GM car or truck that has the same 3 groove pulley?

Ayuh,... It Does just unbolt,...

Donno if GM has a part number for it, or not,...

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander

Ayuh,... It Does just unbolt,...

Donno if GM has a part number for it, or not,...

Just unbolting it will at least give me a chance to clean it up. Hopefully I can get them clean enough so they stop chewing up my v-belts.

Bondo

Staff member

Just unbolting it will at least give me a chance to clean it up. Hopefully I can get them clean enough so they stop chewing up my v-belts.

Ayuh,.... I use Rustoleum industrial enamel,....

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander

Bond-o... Just to make sure we are on the same page I am talking about the lower crank shaft pulley, not the water pump pulley. The crank shaft pulley has one center bolt and 3 bolts further out. Should I take out only the center bolt? How do I stop the pulley from turning? Jam something in there?

cr2k

Captain

The center bolt holds the dampener on the 3 other bolts hold the pulley to the dampener.

If you are pulling the dampener you may need a puller and some room to use it.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member

Bond-o... Just to make sure we are on the same page I am talking about the lower crank shaft pulley, not the water pump pulley. The crank shaft pulley has one center bolt and 3 bolts further out. Should I take out only the center bolt? How do I stop the pulley from turning? Jam something in there?

Ayuh,... Remove the center bolt, then the 3 outer, it'll come off the hub,...

A piece of soft rope down a spark plug hole will lock up the motor if it's that tight, or Impact it off/ loose,...
Though you'll be turnin' the Entire driveline, 'cept the prop shaft, so I doubt it's be a problem,....

Bondo

Staff member

The center bolt holds the dampener on the 3 other bolts hold the pulley to the dampener.

If you are pulling the dampener you may need a puller and some room to use it.

Ayuh,... Where'd You come from,..??... :D :D :D

The big washer on the big bolt also holds the pulley captive, it's still gotta come out,..

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander

Ayuh,... Remove the center bolt, then the 3 outer, it'll come off the hub,...

A piece of soft rope down a spark plug hole will lock up the motor if it's that tight, or Impact it off/ loose,...
Though you'll be turnin' the Entire driveline, 'cept the prop shaft, so I doubt it's be a problem,....

I think I will impact it until it is loose. That will keep me a little busy tomorrow in 95 degree heat....:blue:

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Can't speak of your specific engine, but on some engines, the center bolt washer overlaps the pulley, holding it in place, but most others don't overlap, but the pulley center hole fits snugley around a raised boss on the vibration damper and may need a tad of "persuation" to break loose, sepecially if any rust is present.. Try removing the 3 outer bolts, give the pulley a couple of taps and see if it moves. If not, you may need to remove the center bolt too. Just take your time and not be too "physical", as you could damage the pulley if too much force is exerted.

The impact gun will certainly make short work of the center bolt, if it needs to come off.

Last edited:

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander

Got the 3 outer bolts off with zero problems. They are 9/16. The center bolt, 5/8, was very little trouble. I put a pair of vice clamps on the center pulley and braced them to the water pump pulley. A slight tap with a hammer on the breaker bar and it was loose. Now to file and sand off the rust, paint it and put it back on. Thanks for the help. :happy: