Three years - Three bellows.

amanphoto

Petty Officer 1st Class
Three years - Three bellows. This is the third year owning this boat and the third bellows i'm putting in it. I have a 2005 Monterey 250cr with a volvo penta out drive. The previous two bellows where put in by professional marina's. Both times the bellows have torn in the same spot. Any one else having issues with the bellows tearing? Options?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Three years - Three bellows.

Three years - Three bellows. This is the third year owning this boat and the third bellows i'm putting in it. I have a 2005 Monterey 250cr with a volvo penta out drive. The previous two bellows where put in by professional marina's. Both times the bellows have torn in the same spot. Any one else having issues with the bellows tearing? Options?

Ayuh,.... Where might That be,..??

Do ya run it with the trim Up,..??

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You store with the drive down. Are they using OEM bellows?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Running the engine with the drive tilted all the way up and the steering turned to one side almost always takes out a bellows. Especially if done more than once.

DominicVoyer

Recruit

Do you have a Volvo XDP drive ? They are prone to have that kind of problems.

amanphoto

Petty Officer 1st Class

I keep the boat docked in fresh water - outdrive down. I don't start the boat or drive the boat with the drive up at all. When the boat is out of the water, it is stored down all winter long. The time the drive is lifted is when launch and retrieve it.

amanphoto

Petty Officer 1st Class

First bellows was OEM and failed after a year. Second bellows was aftermarket and failed after a year.

pckeen

Commander

Is the bellows tearing on the install? Are you having problems putting it in?

amanphoto

Petty Officer 1st Class

No - a marina is installing them. They are tearing on use somehow.

Don S

Have you actually seen the tears in the bellows? Or is this just what the shop is telling you the problem is.

I doubt that is what the problem is with that drive. Going to move this over to the Volvo forum.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Wonder if its the grease tube leaking if its water in the bellows with no obvious tears.

Don S

Wonder if its the grease tube leaking if its water in the bellows with no obvious tears.

What I was thinking, just wanted to find out if he seen the tear in the bellows or just listening to excuses for why there was water in the bellows.

amanphoto

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've personally inspected the bellows before they where removed. It is a tear. In the same spot both times. It was on the starboard side of bellows and about 1" from the transom.

Don S

I doubt it's the quality of the bellows, not to have the tear in the same place each time.

I would be looking for something hitting the bellows in that area. The shift cable come through that side, is the cover torn and sharp strands sticking out in that area? Perhaps hitting a clamp or cut off cable tie? Did the clamping surface have a sharp there from corrosion.

amanphoto

Petty Officer 1st Class

The problem is that the clamp is installed at 2 o-clock on the starboard side - screw head up. Be believe the tail of the clamp dug into the bellows and made a hole. According the repair manual - install it in the 2 o-clock position but with the screw head down and that means the tail would be up by where the bellows folds when the drive is raised.

My thought was to install the clamp with the screw on the bottom so it's not close to any parts when the out drive is moved. It will be close to the exhaust bellows, they already have holes in them from the factory.

Don S

Here is a service bulletin from Volvo that may be of help. Looks like your clamp is installed correctly according to the bulletin.
Just out of curiosity, does your drive turn noticeably further to starboard than to port?

View attachment Bellow SB.pdf

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Wow, I learned something today. I have the screw on my clamp facing up!