Help finding year and model of Nissan OB

youngbuck007

Cadet
I picked up a used Nissan outboard the other day. The ad said it was a 9hp and was approximately from the year 2000. Turns out the info plate that has the model number and serial number is missing. I did find the numbers 65393 stamped on the block which I believe to be the serial number. Also, all three stickers that show the HP rating on the cowl have been removed. In searching I don't think Nissan ever made a 9hp, only 9.8 and 9.9. I kind of feel like it is actually an 8hp and based on the colors of the cowl I think the motor is from the late 90's. Can anyone help confirm the model number for me?

Attachments

• nissanob.jpg
    nissanob.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 0

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Help finding year and model of Nissan OB

Looks similar to the NS8 or NS9.8 (which are the same frame), in the vintage you suggested. You can contact Nissan Marine at http://www.nissanmarine.com/contact.html to see if they have records of that serial number.

youngbuck007

Cadet
Re: Help finding year and model of Nissan OB

I did this and the Nissan rep was very helpful. He confirmed that it is a 1997 and is an 8hp. He said the official model number is NS8B2 which means it was a long shaft from the factory. Apparently a previous owner converted it to a short shaft because that is what it is now. The Nissan rep said that it is possible to do this, so I guess that's what they did! Thanks for the help.