Bowrider Hull Repair/Fix or Junk

phartz1

Cadet
The more I look at the hull of the boat the more I worry. I would really like to sand down and fiberglass but I am afraid the boats not worth the value of resin. Thoughts?

The boat definitely isn't watertight but I have gone out for a couple hours before. Took about a gallon of water out of bilge.

IMG_20130706_195524_zpsda367c48.jpg

IMG_20130706_195518_zps523a18a0.jpg

IMG_20130706_195443_zps43c47c9d.jpg

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bowrider Hull Repair/Fix or Junk

Welcome to iboats :welcome: ...

Not seeing the entire boat or knowing your abilities or wants, it is hard to determine how you should proceed. SO, only you can make that decision of both your abilities and if your boat if worth the effort and money. I say if you want further opinions to post more pictures of the entire boat and tell us more about the age and intent you want to achieve... MHO, anything can be refurbished back to new condition, but you only know your finances and abilities... Need more pictures and info...

zoowelder

Cadet

As gm280 stated, it is hard to really make a determination on as to what to do without better pictures. As far as the pictures you have posted, I wouldn't worry to much about that peeling paint at this time IMO. I would first determine if the boat needs new floors, stringers, and a transom. That peeling paint on the bottom could be from someone using bad paint, wrong kind of paint, or it is due to improper prepping.

If the boat is in need of repairs, many here on the forums will help guide you any way they can, but more info is needed as well as pictures.

phartz1

Cadet

Thanks for the quick response guys! I will take more pictures as soon as it stops raining. A Little history on the boat... 1977 CRUISERS Rally 174 ? I have never found anything with the same/similar boat. its a 17' Bowrider. I have about $1500 in the boat,trailer, and engine (1977 70 HP Evinrude).

There is only one soft spot I know of and its in the bow, it seems as if the fiberglass isnt on top of anything... The boats transom seems stable and the only problem is I take on about 1-2 gallons of water every hour or two. I took the boat out of the water and noticed the hull looked like the fiberglass had been dented and dinged all over, and had a bad patch job or something.

New uphostery in the boat and everything seems to work.

DAN M VAGOS

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you like the boat and it seems you do start sanding that area down. what do you have to lose. I'm no expert with glass but have fix boats with it befour and its not hard at all i say you clean it up and try your best after all your worst will be better then whay you have lol

jbcurt00

Staff member

Reserving final opinion until you post more pix, but your latest post suggests that there is plenty to be done about prior to using this boat again.

Welcome to the iboats dry dock

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Your last pic, appears to show a sizable crack, which could be the source of the water intrusion. You could, as a quick and easy, TEMPORARY and by no means meant to be permanent repair, grind the crack out with a dremel tool wash it down with some acetone and fill with some bondo hair and see if the water intrusion stops. If it does then you'll know what needs to be fixed the right way if you decide to restor the boat. As previously stated, pics of the overall boat, both inside and out, will greatly help us to help you.

Buy Bondo Bondo-Hair Long Strand Fiberglass Reinforced Filler, 1 Gallon (US) Can (Net Weight 8 lb 2 oz), 4 Per Case 764 at Advance Auto Parts

phartz1

Cadet

IMG_20130708_182136.jpgIMG_20130708_182020.jpgIMG_20130708_182033.jpgIMG_20130708_182037.jpgIMG_20130708_182046.jpgBoat Photos by pmuneytu | Photobucket

That Album has the rest of the pictures I have taken of my boat. I tried to do them like I did the rest but I was having internet troubles. Another problem I recently noticed on the boat is that the windshield doesn't close. It overlaps by about a half inch, does that mean that the boat is warped?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Was this a Saltwater boat? The windshield is a good indicator that the Deck, Stringers and Bulkheads are rotten and allowing the boat to collapse in on itself

phartz1

Cadet

Yes Saltwater boat. Is there any standard to how thick these hulls are? Are they 1" thick? 2"? The largest "dent" is about 3"x2" and about 1/5" deep. It looks like the last guy did the work on the trailer. I don't know the chances of hitting a wave and the hull collapsing. I fish in Patuxent River and hardly ever go out to the Chesapeake Bay.

phartz1

Cadet

Does Coat-it work on a large scale like this?

phartz1

Cadet

Well I Started sanding today and bought Coat-it, wish me luck

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Coat-It is typically used on Aluminum Boats. What exactly are you trying to repair?

phartz1

Cadet

Coat-It is typically used on Aluminum Boats. What exactly are you trying to repair?

I am trying to fix impact damage in the hull of the boat. about a 2"x4" area that the roller pushed through.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Back up............ Please post some more info on this:
Another problem I recently noticed on the boat is that the windshield doesn't close. It overlaps by about a half inch, does that mean that the boat is warped?

AND a roller pushed up THRU the hull?

What is all this loose stuff:

Also what's all that ^^^ covering up whatever is flaking off?

Attempting to 'repair' or cover damage that's hard to even 'see' in your pix, w/ Coat-It and not address the windshield overlap & the flaking material on the hull, may not yield very satisfactory (or safe) results.

Any chance you could post a pix that says: The damage is here? Maybe even highlight it. Sorry but I couldn't really ID anything that was specifically roller damage thru the hull.

phartz1

Cadet

Back up............ Please post some more info on this:

AND a roller pushed up THRU the hull?

What is all this loose stuff:

Also what's all that ^^^ covering up whatever is flaking off?

Attempting to 'repair' or cover damage that's hard to even 'see' in your pix, w/ Coat-It and not address the windshield overlap & the flaking material on the hull, may not yield very satisfactory (or safe) results.

Any chance you could post a pix that says: The damage is here? Maybe even highlight it. Sorry but I couldn't really ID anything that was specifically roller damage thru the hull.

I will definitely post some more pictures tomorrow, the main reason I started the thread was to try and figure out what that stuff is that's flaking off. I don't know anything about fiberglass so I don't know if its Bondo hair, fiberglass, Coat-it or even the original boat fiberglass.

captain_ron

Seaman Apprentice

Been around fiberglass boats all my life never seen anything like that interested to see what it is.

jbcurt00

Staff member

It doesn't 'look' like fiberglass or gelcoat flaking off.....

Chris_94_Sprint_TX

Petty Officer 1st Class

It looks like water soaked Bondo to me, I have done enough show cars and trucks. Bondo is not water tight its just a filler and can actually absorb water and when it does it flakes and peels/chips. Grab a plastic scraper like the ones used for trim panel removal on cars and be gentle with it so you don't do more damage to the hull. On the note of restoring the boat I say its up to you and the attachment you have to the boat. I plan on doing my resto with my 2 sons and then passing the boat to them when they are old enough and daddy has a new boat, so to me even if I had to do a complete overhaul and replace everything but the hull and cap it would still be worth the father-son time and the money investment but that just MHO.

Chris

RufNutt

Cadet

I agree about he bondo and I am pretty well doing my resto for the same reasons, plus a power upgrade down the road , maybe call it a sleeper :) I actually have read a lot of horror stories about repairs and products and product failure. So I decided to take the plung. Unless you have a lot of time and patience the steps I am taking in my restore are not for everyone. I have actually taken all the gelcoat and chopstrand off my boat right down to the laminate. You would be surprised of the bruises I found under the chopstrand layers. Also I can see now why some problems arise on a boat that are hidden under the gelcoat. Now I am in the process of building my hull back up with epoxy products from the laminate. I did a test on the hull just for myself. I coated a stir stick with epoxy and boded it to the laminate, next day I took a scraper and decided to take it off. It actually tore the fibers out of the laminate. Alot better bond then the chopstrand to gelcoat lam bond. I was using a scraper in places in the chopstrand layer to take of the gelcoat. I was surprised how weak this layer was. Like I said earlier I can see why people have failure of products. I see you restore cars and I have an old hot rod myself. 18 years ago I did a frame off restore. This is what I would call my boat restore . But I can see why people do not do this to boats either as it would break the bank if you had to pay someone and cheaper to replace, but do it on your own you are saving a lot of money and have a superior boat in the end.
It looks like water soaked Bondo to me, I have done enough show cars and trucks. Bondo is not water tight its just a filler and can actually absorb water and when it does it flakes and peels/chips. Grab a plastic scraper like the ones used for trim panel removal on cars and be gentle with it so you don't do more damage to the hull. On the note of restoring the boat I say its up to you and the attachment you have to the boat. I plan on doing my resto with my 2 sons and then passing the boat to them when they are old enough and daddy has a new boat, so to me even if I had to do a complete overhaul and replace everything but the hull and cap it would still be worth the father-son time and the money investment but that just MHO.

Chris