Trailer Wheel Bearings

DWavs

Cadet
Hey all!

I have been lurking on the site a month or so and have a question.

I am new to trailers and recently bought a 1968 restored trailer for my 12' Jon Boat. Previous owner was the one who restored it and said he redid the bearings.

I am oblivious to what needs to be done in the future. Do I need to get on a schedule of every 2-3 years of doing something to the bearings to maintain them? Educate me!

Here is a pic of the trailer. 8" tires with 4 lugs holes if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

David

Attachments

• Finished.jpg
    Finished.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 0

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Re: Trailer Wheel Bearings

I prefer to repack em in the fall before winter sets in. That way any moisture in the bearings gets cleaned out,and is ready in the spring for getting it on the water.Now if ya trailer it alot,it may need a bit more attention. I only put on about 500 miles on it per season. Once I figured that since everytime I do em in the fall,and they are ok I skipped a year.....paid for it the following spring:facepalm:
Grub
Oh by the way,what you doing with my johnboat??:D

DWavs

Cadet

I prefer to repack em in the fall before winter sets in. That way any moisture in the bearings gets cleaned out,and is ready in the spring for getting it on the water.Now if ya trailer it alot,it may need a bit more attention. I only put on about 500 miles on it per season. Once I figured that since everytime I do em in the fall,and they are ok I skipped a year.....paid for it the following spring:facepalm:
Grub
Oh by the way,what you doing with my johnboat??:D

I live close to the Shenandoah so I am going to predict about 250 miles put on it a year.

Is there a website or youtube that details on how you repack them?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Google "How to Pack Wheel Bearings". You will have enough reading material and videos to make your eyes bleed.

rhunter73

Cadet

Google "How to Pack Wheel Bearings". You will have enough reading material and videos to make your eyes bleed.

Those vids are a good start. Make sure you watch the OZ vids if you are a Monty Python fan... Just for giggles and fun.
Also don't forget to test them before you travel out, at least 10 miles at hi way legal speed.

Roger