I started yesterday.

Lowkee said that no one could live under those condition's
on a regular basis.
I said we do, and we love it. Here's why:

Tonight I was on the John Deere and something caught my
eye. I looked up and their were twelve hawks circling overhead,
not a one flapping it's wings, just soaring in the updraft's on a
beautiful windy evening.

I'll take the bugs in exchange for that.:)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Twelve hawks

Sound like buzzards to me.

gonefishie

Commander

Yep. I believe hawks are territorial and don't fly in group. Are you sure the panty hoses didn't restrict the blood flow and blurred your vision? :D

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

Nope, wasn't wearing any.:D But my vision must have been blurred anyway.
After thinking about it and realizing how many their were together
I realized my error.:redface:

I guess you could call them "buzzards" but technically they were turkey vultures.
They roost in all the sandstone bluffs nearby.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Vulture?????!!!!!!! I don't even know 'er! Sorry. Couldn't resist:D.

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

I live in central New Jersey, outside of Princeton, and we've miles of woods behind the house. We have hawks that circle around on the wind and tons and tons of the turkey vultures. They sure look cool from far away, but up close...ugly buggers. One time I went outside and heard a racket, looked up and the trees were thick with them. Literally hundreds. Amazing. Made my dogs go back inside...not that I think they could pick up one of my dogs...but, you never know.

Back when I lived in Alaska (grew up there) I used to work construction. We went out of town one year for a few months to do a job in Homer (famous for fishing, and that snaggletoothed Jewel). Anyway, there was this old lady everyone called 'The Eagle Lady'. Apparently the fisheries used to give her scraps and she'd feel the eagles with it. Well, every day at lunch the eagles would come from hundreds of miles for the feast. Hundreds and hundreds of them...all about 1/2 my size. Those buggers were BIG. And man, when they got to fighting amoungst themselves, it was something to see!

I did see one eagle here in NJ...but after living in AK, just not the same. ;)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Yes when the turkey vultures returned when I was in MO the sky was full of them circling ...... It always seemed to coincide with trout season........ here in VT we see small flocks of 3 or 4 on occasion.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

There is a tree on the banks of the Shuswap river north of Enderby BC were the turkey vultures like to congrigate. I swear its like one of those african dessert movies, you look up, and bang, there's 500 birds looking at you, like your supper. :eek: