what thickness of transom for outboard

bertram18

Cadet
Hi all i have a old bertram 18 was originally an inboard but has been transformd to an outboard by the bloke that i bought it off but the transom has rot in it so i want to replace the transom in it but i want to make sure i can put a suzuki 175 four stroke which i thinck it weighs around 220kg not sure what thickness to put it in as. Any help would be greatly appreciate.
Matt

Yesterday

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: what thickness of transom for outboard

I used 2 sheets of 3/4" ply coated with epoxy. It's overkill for my little 40HP and by times hard to slide C clamps onto but I reckon it will hold up well.

jbcurt00

Staff member

More info & pix would be great

Is a 4stroke 175 overpower on a Bertram 18? Esp 1 designed as an I/O?

I'd like to see pix of the conversion, and the splashwell's construction.

It's not simply remove the I/O, add a notch for an OB & bolt 1 on.......

jbcurt00

Staff member

More info & pix would be great.......
Lack of & requests for pix seems to be a recurring theme...

BTW: What did the converter use for transom ply previously

In another thread, you referred to an outboard pod on a Bertram 18. Pod? Transom ply? Pix for sure......

bertram18

Cadet

Not sure what the bloke used looks like he just patched the hole and bolted a pod on the back I will try and put photos up tonight

jbcurt00

Staff member

So what plywood are you needing to replace?

The boat's original I/O (now modified) transom or the pod location where the motor mounts?

It doesn't speak very well of the work done if it needs either, but w/out pix it's all speculative & suggesting to 'just' use 2 X 3/4" sheets & epoxy is premature. This boat w/ a 175 on a pod may require much more substantial work then a typical OB transom replacement.... Particularly if the previous work isn't the best possible method.

bertram18

Cadet

the ply in the transom need to be replaced as i said in last i dont no what he has done but looks like he has just patched the hole where the leg use to go through the transom then put the pod on the back.

bertram18

Cadet

ill try get photos tomorrow night was to late when i got home from work.

bertram18

Cadet

hi all sorry for no photos ive been working back but have tomorrow off so ill get them then