Bimini owners, get in here

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Bimini owners, get in here

I also am debating getting a 8' verse 6' still, also can you please post the link on here for all of us to see.

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

yea come on, I promise I wont say it looks funny!:D:D:D

Plasma George

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't think he'll care if I post it.
http://gs347.photobucket.com/groups/p457/OMZOITVF70/

His setup is the exact same colors as mine, and I think 8' is what I'm doing. It's actually not as long as I thought. Really makes for a cool enclosed, camper type of feeling, yet still on the water. I suppose I can shift it forward to allow better stern fishing/casting.

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class

As I said - I love it and it is perfect for me and my family. Suffice it to say the wife is not a boat-person. Makes for difficult times sometimes so I try to make it as user friendly for her as possible. Truth of the matter is I have really enjoyed the bimini and its size has been great.

As for your comments RWilson - I have great memories from many of the Bama - Florida games. I was at the dome this year. Who can forget this?

Tebow.jpg

Kidding aside - I think there will be many SEC championships in both our futures. The coaching in the SEC can't be beat. Roll Tide Roll!!!

Oh and by the way PlasmaGeorge must be a BAMA fan too - his boat is the right color!

Rhinocraft

Recruit

It might look "Dumb" and "not right" but here is a few pics of the 8 ft 4 bow I installed today. The boat is a 18' 8" Wellcraft Excel 19SX. I like it. The Family are all blondes or red heads, we burn easy but love the water. The height is 42", I'm 5' 11". there is about 4 to 6 inches above my head.
downsized_0504001926.jpg

P1010818r.jpg

downsized_0504001926a.jpg

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

alright guys....uncle already...i take it back.....those 8 footers look just fine. Actually on that style boat I think they may actually look better than a 6'er.

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK - RWilson - you are alright in my book...

Plasma George

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bama,
Actually that's my old Chap I need to sell, my Maxum is maroon....sorry. Do you remember what height yours is ?

Rhino,
I'm going 8', but now I'm not sure on 42". That looks pretty high on your boat, even you at 5'11" and still having 4-6" of space. Did you want the extra height for the feel of having more air under there ?
It looks high, but I guess I understand a more roomy feel.

Rhinocraft

Recruit

I think it looks high in the pics but its really not. The windshield on the boat is so low and raked back it gives you the impression the bimini is taller that it actually is. If I would have purchased the 36" I would be ducking under it though I think it would have looked better... I may take a hack saw to it yet... I won't have a chance to try it out on the water till Saturday.

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't know the height off the top of my head (no pun intended). FYI - I shortened the main bow as much as I could. I will say that , from memory, I think I only have a couple inches clear over me when I stand and drive and I am 6'0". That being said - when you are raising the top, it goes almost too high to reach when you are moving the bows forward, but it is not a big deal.

Plasma George

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So here at iboats.com, at 8', the following are the only options. I thought Westland would be an option, but it's not. And no Sharkskin. Sbbamafan, which did you choose ?
It's about $50 between each.

Hot Shot - Acrylic coated polyester & 2 year limited warranty. Fabric Details

Vinyl - 100% Vinyl & 2 year limited warranty. Fabric Details

Ultima - Urethene-coated polyester & 2 year limited warranty. Fabric Details

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mine is Sunbrella. I did not get it at iBoats but it was before I knew iBoats existed.:rolleyes: FWIW - I do love the Sunbrella.

Plasma George

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds good. I to was about to buy from IBoats, but I went searching for Sunbrella in the 79" x 42" variety, and came on to Overton's.

They also had a polyseter bimini, but there's is a 5 year warranty. Not sure what all can happen to a bimini that woulnd't be my fault for tearing/ripping, but 5 years is good.

What about the back bracing supports ? Some are saying it's a must have, but how do you store the boat ? From the pictures in this thread it loks like half have the brace, the other half use the straps.

When I'm not boating, the storage cover is on. How can you store the boat using the braces, and still have a water tight seal for the interior ? It seems for us outside storing owners, you need to lower the bimini entirely into the boat, then put on the cover.

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll try to answer all your questions. First - how it is rigged. I have rigid bars in the back plus one at an angle for lateral support. The front is held with straps. The angle brace in the back was absolutely necessary because the top rocked franticly back and forth without it. FYI - it doesn't have to be on the back. IT can be anywhere as long as you get lateral support.

As for storage / cover etc., I keep a cover on my boat every minute I'm not in it. The boat stays covered in a three sided plus a roof, barn type structure. I put the bigger / thumbscrew hardware on all the fittings for quick removal. I simply pull the screws and drop it flat under the cover with the top resting across the sunpad. Since I always use the bimini, it is just a matter of putting those 5 screws in (takes maybe 3 minutes) and I'm off to the lake. When I don't need it once I am on the water, I just fold it back and wrap it in its boot.

88phantom

Seaman

Thanks for all the pictures guys. I am looking for a top for my 17.4' Deep V aluminum and this kindoff helps. I think I will go with the 8' and see how it works. I like the Sunbrella iboats does have them by Carver in a narrower (78") model like my boat.

mattb1974

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I recently purchased a Bimini here from iboats. Turns out it is the wrong color. Dont want to return as they will charge me 25% restock fee plus shipping. Anybody who needs a bimini Just PM me, I will let this go for cheaper than anywhere else and split the shipping. And you wont have to wait for one to be made. New in box here are the specs;

6' 3 bow 36" tall and 85"-90" wide
Sharkskin Material
Shark blue.
Aluminum and nylon fittings.

New in box, PM me if interested.

KCinNC

Cadet
Drilling Mounting Holes ?

Drilling Mounting Holes ?

anyone have some useful tips on drilling into fiberglass ? i just got a Bimini...seems like i may have to drill into the side, just below the side window to mount my brackets. i want to make sure it's done right the first time !!!

any tips appreciated

thanks KC

pinellas50

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Drilling Mounting Holes ?

Re: Drilling Mounting Holes ?

anyone have some useful tips on drilling into fiberglass ? i just got a Bimini...seems like i may have to drill into the side, just below the side window to mount my brackets. i want to make sure it's done right the first time !!!

any tips appreciated

thanks KC

Drill the hole using the correct size drill bit for the size screw you are using. Then champher/counter sink the hole so the gel coat doesn't spider crack. With counter sinking, I used the slightly larger drill bit spun backwards technique to do mine and it worked great. I also used 5200 on all the screws/holes when putting the screws in to try and make them water tight.

KCinNC

Cadet

so the spider cracking will occur when installing the screw ?

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer

Rhino - just a friendly bit of advice about your new top, as the straps appear
to be attached to the boat at an almost straight vertical angle. They may
need to be attached farther out, both front and back, to provide some lateral
stability. The top looks good, all the same.
:)