Best way to raise where your motor is mounted?

ngt

Master Chief Petty Officer
How would you extend this up? I need to raise my motor two inches and it's 2 inches from the top now.

IMG_20130615_072342_439_zps52f864d8.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: Best way to raise where your motor is mounted?

On this boat:
IMG_20130420_160854_750_zps2b744dbf.jpg

Did you buy a long shaft motor, for a short shaft transom?

The 2" lift is so that the anti-cav plate is about even w/ the bottom of the keel?

ngt

On this boat:
IMG_20130420_160854_750_zps2b744dbf.jpg

Did you buy a long shaft motor, for a short shaft transom?

The 2" lift is so that the anti-cav plate is about even w/ the bottom of the keel?

yeah, I need the motor to be even with the keel because it's in the way of my transducer for the new TM/FF setup. Also, I didn't know it was too low until about a week ago. New to boats. It was a great deal on the motor at the time too.

ngt

Yes: 12 foot, 4 stroke tohatsu 9.8, tiller

IMG_20130615_143932_572_zps38d5f0b0.jpg

IMG_20130615_143351_008_zpsf40fbfc0.jpg

ngt

bump...thoughts?

jbcurt00

Staff member

Yep ^^^

Just checking to see how close to max hp that 9.9 was........ And how the boat's transom was set up

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

... or if you don't want to spend $100 you can raise your transom with wood:

A 1-1/2" wide by 2" tall fir filler cut out of a fir 2x4 secured to the top of your transom with 3" stainless sheet metal screws. Then a new piece of 3/4" plywood cut 2" taller than the old one secured to the filler with PL premium waterproof adhesive and 2" stainless sheet metal screws, also bolted through the transom with stainless bolts, washers, and nyloc nuts.

I'd make this new build/modification as wide as thedip down in your transom for strength and not just a little piece to fit under the motor... that would be too weak.

You should be able to build this for about $50 or less.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Jig,...............

I think that's a bunch of work to try to save 50 bucks,............

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Jig,...............

I think that's a bunch of work to try to save 50 bucks,............

A bunch of work compared to what?... sitting at the 'puter and drinking beers, you're probably right.:cool:

... but if you're on a fixed budget with a new baby and have the whole summer off work it's not that much time and the $50 could come in handy elsewhere.

I really don't consider ripping down a 2x4 and a piece of plywood, then sealing and installing them a bunch of work... but that's prolly just me.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

I still think the right part for the job at only $85.00 is the right answer,......

Why cobble something together when you can have it done right with a simple part and four bolts???

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Why cobble something together when you can have it done right with a simple part and four bolts???

Why pay twice as much for something you can redneck engineer yourself for half the price???:laugh:

Then when someone comments on it you get to say " Yeah, I built that myself and it works good!".

... but if you only have a little bit of time and lots of money the mini jacker would be the way to go.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

$85.00 isn't lots of money,.............

I know I'd rather have my motor mounted right than "redneck engineered",......

jbcurt00

Staff member

bump...thoughts?

Clearly :rolleyes:

Anybody notice ngt hasn't been by to weigh in on either suggestion? But was on Iboats an hour ago w/ out posting in this thread :facepalm:

ngt

Clearly :rolleyes:

Anybody notice ngt hasn't been by to weigh in on either suggestion? But was on Iboats an hour ago w/ out posting in this thread :facepalm:

Sorry, I was on my phone checking in, but was with my family all day doing father's day stuff. My original thought was to do something like the wood idea. The mini jacker doesn't look too secure. My whole motor on a piece of metal/wood sticking out like that hanging on by 4 bolts seems flimsy and unsafe. The position it puts it in on the other hand (up and out) is exactly where I'd like the motor to be. Really, I'm not sure about what I want to do. I have the money for either one, but I'm not sure which one would be sturdier.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Not to worry about the sturdiness of the mini jacker, it'll handle up to a 35 hp so your 9.9 will be more than secure.

The MJ is the quicker/easier install (if you don't count shipping time), the wood is the cheaper way... but could actually be quicker if you count the shipping time on the MJ.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Sorry, I was on my phone checking in, but was with my family all day doing father's day stuff. My original thought was to do something like the wood idea. The mini jacker doesn't look too secure. My whole motor on a piece of metal/wood sticking out like that hanging on by 4 bolts seems flimsy and unsafe. The position it puts it in on the other hand (up and out) is exactly where I'd like the motor to be. Really, I'm not sure about what I want to do. I have the money for either one, but I'm not sure which one would be sturdier.

The Mini Jacker is made to do exactly what you want it to do,.....

I have seen lot's of boats with that on them and they are very sturdy,..........

jbcurt00

Staff member

Sorry, I was on my phone checking in, but was with my family all day doing father's day stuff
I only meant that you hadn't indicated which way YOU thought would work best for YOUR situation yet....

Otherwise, both options are viable, good alternatives. Both offer pros & cons: Money, time, labor, material, relative useful service life..... And for each the pros outweigh the cons, IMHO, so they are equally good choices.

ngt

Cool. Thanks for all of the advise. I think I'm going to grab that bracket.