Outboard up or down while in water?

iflyboeing

Cadet
75 Evinrude E-tec outboard on my Zodiac RIB. While in the water, if I raise the outboard as far up as it will go, it is still partly in the water (Skeg and bottom half of prop/hub). Problem is, that the sacraficial anode is not submerged at this hight. The other alternative is to keep the outboard lowered until to the point that the anode is submerged, but then most of the gearcase is wetted and more area for marine growth to accumulate on. Which is preferable?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Outboard up or down while in water?

Their made to be in the water year round. Just run it more to keep the stuff off.

mpsyamaha

Petty Officer 1st Class

aren't there anodes on the trim/tilt bracket that are always submerged when the boat is in the water?

foodfisher

Captain

If it's salt water, yes, anode with water contact. If it's sweet/fresh water, flip a coin. Edit: It would be nice if a location was posted so the answers could be calibrated to "that" location.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Your boat is not aluminum or metal, and it doesn't matter if the anode is submerged on an inflatable boat.

Just enjoy your day.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

do you have antifouling paint on the hull? if not it doesn't have to be in the water so raise it. Do you leave the boat in the water, or keep it on the trailer? If trailer, it doesn't matter.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

freshwater, always up! There is no corrosion or growth if its out of the water, and absolutely no advantages to leaving it down. Looking at the local marinas in my area, about 75% of the newbie pontoon owners leave theirs down. At the end of the season, you can tell the clean engines from the ones with a couple inches of furry growth on them.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

I'm pretty sure that your engine has a trim limit switch that can be adjusted. It should be adjusted so that it tips up until just before it touches something solid on the boat. Ideally it could be tipped up until there is 1/4" or so from the boat and that hopefully also gets it all the way out of the water.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Carburetors are not meant to be stored for any significant length in the fully tilted position. Leave it vertical.

Lurch77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

E-TEC's do not use carburetors, so no worries there.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Carburetors are not meant to be stored for any significant length in the fully tilted position. Leave it vertical.

now that's a new one, and would get stares or outright guffaws from everyone on the river that keeps his boat in the water.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

E-TEC's do not use carburetors, so no worries there.

Missed the E-Tec. Thx.

now that's a new one, and would get stares or outright guffaws from everyone on the river that keeps his boat in the water.

Three seperate marine mechanics have all told be the same thing. Floats get stuck in the top position and portions of bowl gaskets dry out. I don't just make stuff up....

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Missed the E-Tec. Thx.

Three seperate marine mechanics have all told be the same thing. Floats get stuck in the top position and portions of bowl gaskets dry out. I don't just make stuff up....

Throughout the years every single outboard I've owned has been stored tilted up. Only had carb work done on one of them, and it wasn't because of seals. (gummed up from lack of use)

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

maybe the operative word is "storage". In a shed for a year, yes vertical. While in the water not being used, tilted is fine. Just run it occassionally.