Need some boat cover advice for a newb

greenmtnboat

Cadet
Hello everyone,

First, great site! Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here!

I just bought a new Lowe 14' A1467WT, and am hoping for sort of a do-it-all cover; trailerable, durable, OK for storing boat outside in our Vermont winters....

I see on the iboat a Sharkskin Supreme trailerable by Westland, and an Outdura by Carver (actually found 2, same size only one is 172.99 and the other is 157.99).

Thoughts or experiences anyone?

Thanks,

Last edited:

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: Need some boat cover advice for a newb

Having owned both brands the Outdura is a thicker and more durable fabric.
Carver makes good covers.
I do have a Sharkskin also that i use for Summer use only.
It is lighter and less work to put on and take off.

Being your boat is smaller i would go with the best fabric for year round use.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Build a garage for it? Although that might hamper the trailering thing...:D

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Also the Carver semi-custom fit include an outboard cover.

greenmtnboat

Cadet

HA!
:D
Nice suggestions! Maybe I need to just move the boat a thousand or so miles south!

Nice to see it will come with motor cover. Just ordered the Carver per your suggestion.

Thanks again

Why do you want a cover for trailering? IMO, they are more of a pain than they are worth. Cover it when not in use, and put a tarp over the cover in the winter.

Why deal with all of the hassles of a cover while towing?

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

FWIW here is an example of the semi custom Carver - Outdura I bought from Iboats. Am 100% pleased with the fit and the quality. As I recall, I paid about 250.00 for it (was on sale for that amount).

Attachments

• photoBC3.jpg
    photoBC3.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 0

Old & In the way

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Take a close look at how the tie-down staps connect.
I bought a Taylor made and the straps are so difficult to use - i tossed them and put on bungi cords.

88phantom

Seaman

I can't figure out if my boat should be classified as a 17' Aluminum fishing boat with walk through windsheild or if it is a 17' fish and ski. Only difference I can tell is the Fish n ski is a 90" beam max and the fishing is a 94" beam. Any suggestions? Boat is a 17' Crestliner/Nordic V170 Phantom. This is not my boat but is the same make/model as mine.

Attachments

• 750018264_1_B.jpg
    750018264_1_B.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 0

greenmtnboat

Cadet

Why do you want a cover for trailering? IMO, they are more of a pain than they are worth. Cover it when not in use, and put a tarp over the cover in the winter.

Why deal with all of the hassles of a cover while towing?

You are probably right Cap, I'm likely going to do just as you say. However, there might be times when I will be off camping and covering the boat and all the kids beach toys etc. would be handy.

Glad to see that pic of the cover, look forward to getting it.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

IMO, trailering covered is the only way I would ever travel. No hassle at all....the right fitted cover takes a whole 5 minutes to put on and less to take off. But that's just me.

A good quality sharkskin is probably what you are looking for. But if you plan on outside storage, you also better plan on replacing it every couple of years. Winter is especially hard, but the constant UV all summer is just as bad.

The garage idea is still #1. I would personally not store any of my expensive toys outside. The temp storage canopies or "sheds" are a fraction of the cost of a garage. At the very least, buy a $20 silver tarp to protect the cover, all year around.

For winter storage in a snow area a wood 2x4 A-frame will be mandatory. Cover bows or poles will fail under a snow load of more than about 6".

greenmtnboat

Cadet

IMO, trailering covered is the only way I would ever travel. No hassle at all....the right fitted cover takes a whole 5 minutes to put on and less to take off. But that's just me.

A good quality sharkskin is probably what you are looking for. But if you plan on outside storage, you also better plan on replacing it every couple of years. Winter is especially hard, but the constant UV all summer is just as bad.

The garage idea is still #1. I would personally not store any of my expensive toys outside. The temp storage canopies or "sheds" are a fraction of the cost of a garage. At the very least, buy a $20 silver tarp to protect the cover, all year around.

For winter storage in a snow area a wood 2x4 A-frame will be mandatory. Cover bows or poles will fail under a snow load of more than about 6".

Wow, don't know how I missed your post. Great advice, I opted for an ill-fitting, mishapen, popped-stitching, semi-custom Carver from iboats here. I will definitely take your advice on a tarp for the summer, and something more substantial for the winter months.

Thanks for your suggestions,

ExxWhy

Seaman Apprentice

Getting the idea you aren't too pleased with the new cover. I was just looking at covers yesterday, so your overall opinion of your newly purchased cover would be helpful.

greenmtnboat

Cadet

Getting the idea you aren't too pleased with the new cover. I was just looking at covers yesterday, so your overall opinion of your newly purchased cover would be helpful.

Yes, I'm not too pleased. Front half fits fine, but the back of it was not made evenly. The left side is shorter, so it barely makes it over the motor, and then it is stretched fairly tight on that side. Also, stitches on part of the cover are pulled, and would have to be repaired if the cover fit right to begin with.

I have my boat stored about an hour and a half away from home, so I was not able to do as instructed by Carver and spread the cover out over the boat, take several pictures, keep it clean, etc. in order to get some form of exchange/repair. Had I had any idea that I might be dealing with poor quality control on Carver's part, I would have brought my camera with me when I brought the cover up to the boat.

Instead, I will just eat the expense and advise everyone I know to stay away from them.