Trailer Wiring Coversion Module

55bigtwin

Cadet
Here we go again, last year I installed a NAPA (Hoppy's) trailer wiring conversion module on the '06 Jeep Grand Cherokee. From the start trailer lights would light up and stay on, while there were NO lights activated on the Jeep. I replaced the module 3 times, and it finally seemed to work properly. I have 5 different trailers, they all seem to work just fine plugged in to other vehicles, but when I plug a trailer into the Jeep conversion wiring, the brake lights come on and stay on, all the time, even with NO lights activated on the Jeep. At the same time the Jeep lights all function fine, but nothing works on the trailer, except the brake lights on all the time...
The reason for the conversion module appears to be that the modern wiring in the Jeep has 6 wires to operate the rear lights, ground, running, Left turn, right turn, left brake, right brake. The old trailers of course have only ever used 4 wires, ground, running, Left turn, right turn, and the brake also operated through the turn circuits.
Now I'm thinking that if I 'hard wire' the lights, either I can't use the brake lights or the turn signals at the same time...??? Am I missing something???

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Trailer Wiring Coversion Module

Which Hoppy's kit are you using? Do you have separate turn signals?

55bigtwin

Cadet

Ahh, I don't have the part # with me, my garage is about 6 miles up the road, and I don't have internet service there. But the NAPA (Hoppy's) kit is a plug in, that 'T's into the factory harness, with a fused hot wire that goes up to the batt. and a ground wire. As I remember 6 wires go in and 4 wires come out... The Jeep probably has separate bulbs for brake and turn, the trailers are standard single fixtures with 1157 bulbs... If I only had one trailer I suppose I could add double bulb fixtures on it, but with 5 trailers... well, I'm not going there...

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Thats a simple problem to solve ditch the jeep.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Did the Hoppy kit have a small electrical looking box? Did your instructions say anything about going to a dealer to have the computer enabled for towing?

NYBo

Admiral

This is where I would bite the bullet and buy a harness from a dealer. That's what I did with my Pacifica, and it worked perfectly every time.

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Trailer Wiring Conversion Module

Re: Trailer Wiring Conversion Module

6 in 4 out is a Powered Converter.
It uses the Lamp signals as control signals only and does not steal the power from them.
Is sounds like the connection to the brake signal is not making it.

I have a Curt Powered Converter that just had the weirdest problem.
The Brake lights on the trailer were delayed from the truck.
Press on the Brakes and a half second later the brake lights on the trailer came On.
Release the Brakes and a full 2 seconds later the Brake Lights on the trailer went out. Right First, then Left.
I thought I was seeing the impossible!

OK, it is a brake signal problem!
I opened up the ScotchLock that tapped the brake signal and placed a meter on the metal jumper bar and saw a good signal.
Now; A good signal on the ScotchLock does not prove the signal is good on the wire.
I removed the ScotchLock and re-crimped it. Now the Brake Lights worked correctly.
I hate Scotchlocks!

No matter how much you believe your brake signal connection is good; Take it apart and PROVE IT!
With the wire connected to nothing, the Trailer Brake Lights just may stay on.
While you have it disconnected, touch it to ground, the brake lights should go off.

55bigtwin

Cadet

We have had 7 Jeeps, and this one is the only one that was not equipped with factory trailer hitch and wiring. Interestingly, my father has an '06 Dakota with no trailer wiring, and no 'plug in' capability. I was able to cut into the harness and 'hard wire' it, the old way, and that works fine. (of course it has recently crossed my mind to double check the trailer brake circuit on the Dakota). In the past the absence of 'factory trailer wiring' has never been a deal breaker...live & learn...
Thats a simple problem to solve ditch the jeep.

55bigtwin

Cadet

Did the Hoppy kit have a small electrical looking box? Did your instructions say anything about going to a dealer to have the computer enabled for towing?

No instructions like that...and I have been in contact with the dealer several times on this problem...

55bigtwin

Cadet

This is where I would bite the bullet and buy a harness from a dealer. That's what I did with my Pacifica, and it worked perfectly every time.

I tried, (last year) to get a factory harness, the dealer parts manager told me that it was 'Not Available'....

RobWise64

Cadet

Cequent's T-One for the 05-06 Grand Cherokee doesn't involve a power converter. It just plugs in behind each tail light. Look up #118394 on E-Trailer or a local DrawTite dealer.