4.3 V6 with Weber 4 bbl - won't idle down

big zeke

Seaman Apprentice
I've been running my engine on muffs and have found it does not want to come back to base idle when I let off the throttle. The engine remains at ~1200 rpm (sometimes as high as 1500) until I lift the cover and manually push the throttle cable back onto the idle adjust screw (roughly 700 rpm). There is really no play in the throttle cable, it's almost as if there should be a return spring on here (but mine does not have one). Likewise, mine has a remote oil reservoir feeding the Alpha 1 leg, I just noticed that the 2 wires coming from it go nowhere - they just end in bullet connectors but connect to nothing. Not sure what, if anything they should connect to, can't find them on any wiring diagram.

I'm more concerned abt the idle than the reservoir wires but input on either issue is appreciated. A shift at 1500 rpm is probably a very bad idea - I'll never try it.

Zeke

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: 4.3 V6 with Weber 4 bbl - won't idle down

remove the nut on the control cable, turn the barrel a few turns to put light pressure on the linkage to close it .

big zeke

Seaman Apprentice

remove the nut on the control cable, turn the barrel a few turns to put light pressure on the linkage to close it .

Shall do, seems easy enough. Any ideas on the reservoir wires...this one has me stumped.

Speakrdude

Ensign

Most of the Mercruisers I've worked on DOES have a return spring for that reason.

The drive reservoir's two wires are for a warning buzzer that also can connect to a low oil pressure switch as well as a high water temp switch. Ground to one side, buzzer to the other. It was an option on some boats. It can be purchased as an add on kit.