Need finish help for TNT

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral
I've hesitated to post here, since I have so many questions I don't know where to begin. I built a Glen-L TNT some 15-16 years ago, to about 90% complete. I'd now like to finish it. All this work was done pre-internet and available resources were few. <br /><br />The construction was completed. I applied fiberglass tape to all exterior seams and wetted with polyester resin. I then fiberglassed both hull and deck with fiberglass cloth and same resin. Now I'd like to apply some color finish to make it more presentable.<br /><br />Unlike hulls and decks made in a mold, mine is pretty rough. I sanded and reapplied resin 2 or three times, but I realize it'll never be as free of imperfections as if it were molded. I think it's now time to apply some type of color coating. This is my first quandry. I've seen so many products mentioned that I'm confused about which I should apply - EasyPoxy, Brightsides, Toplac, ArmorPoxy, and others. What would not only apply the color, but lay flat, and somewhat thick to cover imperfections.<br /><br />This internet is great. Now I have resources such as you guys and resources for steering, control parts/pieces, supplies, products, etc that didn't exist 15 years ago. You help would be much appreciated.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Need finish help for TNT

You really need to fair the hull before finishing. The smoother you can make the painting surface the better the paint will work. You might do a Google search on fairing a hull, there may be someone here that can help better than I.<br />I work with a couple of manufacturers of fiberglass products and sometimes I can get mismatched gelcoat from which I make a fairly tough to sand fairing compound. If you can find an affordable fairing compound, you can have a fine looking and long lasting hull to paint.<br />As you have older resin to work with you might contact the folks West Systems an see what they have or recommend...just some random thoughts :)

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Chief,<br /> Thanks so much for the response. You've put me right on track. I've found some sources for what I was looking for. I kept thinking that "Bondo" was the auto analogy of what I needed to improve this boat before painting, but I didn't know the correct terminology. "Fairing" is leading me in the direction I needed to go. Thanks again.

Rudderman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Another option would be to give the entire hull the once-over carefully with a belt sander to knock off the big ripples and lumps in the resin. Then apply a final coat of resin with a roller and tip it off by lightly dragging a piece of foam roller along it.<br />If you do it carefully, the final coat should only require sanding with a finishing sander to give a surface good enough to paint (eg. prekote primer and toplac)<br />But I suppose if its really really rough, it'd probably be easier to apply a fill coat of some sort, maybe a coat of resin mixed with microballoons or a high build primer might be enough?

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Gonna have problems with adhesion on old resin, that is why I recommend checking with the West System epoxy folks...imho they have a lot of good answers and products...just a thought :)

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Even though it's been such a long time, the polyester resin is still a bit tacky. That's why it was so hard to sand in the beginning - it just clogged the sandpaper until I broke through the film of gum. Someone told me if I would wax it, the resin would set up hard, but then the next coat wouldn't adhere. I understand that resins only harden when air exposure is removed.

Rudderman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think Chief101 is right about adhesion. Epoxy resin would bond better than polyester at this stage. But if u use epoxy you'd have to make sure all the tackiness was gone first and it was sanded with 80 grit paper.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Wipe it down good with acetone to get rid of the tackiness. If you hadn't waited so long it would have so much simpler, but alas, it is what it is, and now, you have to finish it this time...just a thought :)