Boat or RV ?

bustoff

Cadet
We are finally retired. We can't decide which between a boat or a class A motorhome. :confused:

Have never owned either.

Anyone ever been here and how did you decide ? Are you happy with your choice ?

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Re: Boat or RV ?

This is a boating forum. Members will probably be a little biased.....:rolleyes:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Boat or RV ?

Different strokes for different folks.

This is one of those things you have to make your own decision on.
What one person likes best is what you could hate the worst.

bustoff

Cadet

Different strokes for different folks.

This is one of those things you have to make your own decision on.
What one person likes best is what you could hate the worst.

This is true.
However, I was hoping to get some perspective from those who have gone before me. Perhaps from someone who has owned both at one time or another.

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The only logical answer is both. ;)

81_chapparel194

Petty Officer 1st Class

well theres always a house boat. lol bwa ha ha ha i own both and honestly love both. i cant use both at the same time however they are both pull behind. and i do not like pulling doubles.. but to choose betweenone or the other is a tough decision.. economical sense says an rv. less maintenance and cost to operate. but many miles of smiles with either. try this. rent one of each for a week and see which you AND your family like the most. dont just go on your insight as it is a family affair with either choice. best of luck

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Apples and oranges... Do you think your family likes boating? Then getting a camper and sitting on the shore to watch other people have fun on a boat isn't going to work well. Just keep in mind that boating involves a significant amount of work and quite a bit of money. The cost of the boat is only the down payment. RV'ing by comparison is quite a bit cheaper, at least not counting the initial price.

Allbutwet

Petty Officer 1st Class

I vote both.
I love camping and the water. Which is why I have taken the wife to see Truck Campers. She liked having a trailer. But I think I have convinced her we can have both. Lol. I agree that you should rent both and then make a decision.

Dawg'sLife93

Petty Officer 1st Class

I bought a Class C last year and a boat this year. I went the used route on both, for budget reason. I choose a Class C, cause it can pull the boat. LOL. It's just my wife, me and 2 dogs.

Todd157k

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have both. Although you can use a boat as a camper (assuming it has a galley and head and is towable) it is a bit of a pain.

One thing to consider though.. with the gas prices the way they are, it's usually cheaper to get a hotel room/cabin than to drive the RV.

jcfitzgerald

Seaman Apprentice

Rv. Too much to learn with a boat, and short season unless you are far south. I have been boating for many years and still am not good at it.

Opnine99

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I love to camp and I love the water, so I just bought a cabin cruiser. Camping on the water, but i do not trailer so I am limited to the lake as my camping destination. I suppose I like boating more and I don't have an RV nor am I a member of an RV forum. :eyebrows: so I guess I may be a little biased

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

1. Class C RV plus a boat on a trailer. For years I towed my Boston Whaler 17 with my VW Westfalia (Transvair) Camper. It seemed perfect to me.

2. Small (trailerable) houseboat and a good tow vehicle.

3. Boat and good connections for accomodations. #2 daughter just sold her Class A home because even first class hotels are cheaper.

Oxbowastor

Recruit

Do what you both enjoy.
For the last 16 years we have owned a diesel pusher RV and we would not have traded that experience for a boat.
We have been in 49 states and most of Canada. AWSOME! Can't see all that in a boat. Now that we have seen all that we found a beautyful wiinter home on the St Johns river in Fl. and have decided to sell the MH and do some boating.
If you want more info. on RVing email me and I'll give you my phone # and we can discuss it in more detail. Gene

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

I have both. I traveled a lot when I had a real job and stayed in hotels. Even some of the best hotels can suck at times. I hate sleeping in those beds-- never look at those beds with the sheets off. So-- the class A gets little use and it would be less expensive to stay in hotels-- and fly to the destination and rent a car. BUT-- it is a home away from home.... I'll not be without a boat until I can no longer stand. Contrary what many think-- the maintenance costs on a MH are high. Price the oil changes, tires, what happens when the refrigerator needs replaced, 3 AC systems,,,,,,

C.O.L.

Seaman Apprentice

Instead of a class A, maybe a class C and a nice fish and ski boat?

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

NO--- if going to RV go all the way. With todays gas prices you will find some great deals! Those F&S toys do not work well on the ocean even on good days...:D
Instead of a class A, maybe a class C and a nice fish and ski boat?