Trim Gauge function...

dmanmtl

Seaman
I have a bayliner 175 with a 130 HP mercruiser stern drive. The dash gauge that indicates the position of the trim is a little funky, it seems to move erratically. I think it may be the needle in the gauge that is sticking but am wondering where the "pickup" for this device is - what is it reading and can I check the sensor for this?

D

thumpar

Admiral
Re: Trim Gauge function...

The sensor is on the side of the drive. Where it pivots up and down you will see a sensor on each side. One for trim limit and one for the position. My boat never had the gauge and the rubber for the wires on them are both hardened. I trim by the seat of my pants.

Levithan

Banned

I went through this a few days ago.
The old sensors are not very good from what I've been told and they can move very erratically.
I took mine apart, cleaned out the contacts of all the rust and debri that was in there, and sanded down the contacts.
Sprayed them down with fluid film and then anerobic sealed the O-rings to the case.
That should protect them from further corrosion.
Even after doing all that my trim sensor only works for a small duration of travel and pretty much flicks from down to up in an instant, normal from what I understand.
Apparently there are new updated sensors that work better but i'm not spending 80-100 dollars and going through all the work to replace them just for a bit more accuracy.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

They should move smoothly,mine do,1985 larson,I suppose they could have been replaced before I aquired it last year but they are pretty rough looking,wires are splitting also. I've replaced others for people and they still are a bit erratic but I think the guadge itself goes south also. I prefer them working,at least ya know you arent trimmed to high when under way if the limit is set properly for your drive.
Grub

dmanmtl

Seaman

can someone be more specific about where the senors(S) is? I am unclear on this...and would like to have a look at it

thumpar

Admiral

can someone be more specific about where the senors(S) is? I am unclear on this...and would like to have a look at it
Go look at the back of your boat. The pivot points for the drive going up and down is where they are. One on each side. It is the only thing that will have wires coming from it.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

The arrow is pointing at a round plastic disc like object about 2" diameter. The one of the port side is the limit switch, the one on the starboard side is the gauge sender....

Chris.......

attachment.php

Attachments

• Trime senders location.JPG
    Trime senders location.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 0

dmanmtl

Seaman

Ok, got it - I see them now...doesn't look they are servicable though - the back screw looks almost impossible to get off given the position. I will have another look tomorrow when it is light - Thanks for all your replies!!

dubs283

Vice Admiral

I see them now...doesn't look they are servicable though - the back screw looks almost impossible to get off given the position

they are serviceable

it is much easier to replace them with the bellhousing removed, but if you have the right tools and a little patience they can be changed with the drive still on

Levithan

Banned

Turn the wheel and get the outdrive to where the screws are accessable.
Remove the 4 center most screws not the outer two screws(center screws will allow access for the unit to be cleaned, outer two screws are for adjustment) then mark where you removed the center wheel from.
Clean, lube and reinstall.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

Turn the wheel and get the outdrive to where the screws are accessable.
Remove the 4 center most screws not the outer two screws(center screws will allow access for the unit to be cleaned, outer two screws are for adjustment) then mark where you removed the center wheel from.
Clean, lube and reinstall.

mercruiser do not recommend diassembling the sending units or splicing the wires

the senders are a remove and replace item ONLY

dazk14

Ensign

An impact driver is helpful to remove the screws. Occasionally, a part from a new switch can be swapped over without disconnecting the existing wires. More often the assembly needs to be replaced.

You do not have to go through the ridiculous labor involved in running new wires for replacement.

If done properly, the wires can be spliced. We've done in excess of a hundred and, plain and simple, this fix works. Saltwater included.

The key is to use a glued,heat shrink, butt connector. Make your crimp(with a tool) then heat the connector to shrink (you should see glue squeeze out).

Over that goes a 2nd layer which is glued heat shrink tubing that extends past the butt connector.

BTW - the 2nd layer must be slipped loosely over the wires prior to making the butt connection.

This works due to the GLUED shrink connector/tubing.

The new connection is more durable than the adjacent wire insulation.

achris

An impact driver is helpful to remove the screws. Occasionally, a part from a new switch can be swapped over without disconnecting the existing wires. More often the assembly needs to be replaced.

You do not have to go through the ridiculous labor involved in running new wires for replacement.

If done properly, the wires can be spliced. We've done in excess of a hundred and, plain and simple, this fix works. Saltwater included.

The key is to use a glued,heat shrink, butt connector. Make your crimp(with a tool) then heat the connector to shrink (you should see glue squeeze out).

Over that goes a 2nd layer which is glued heat shrink tubing that extends past the butt connector.

BTW - the 2nd layer must be slipped loosely over the wires prior to making the butt connection.

This works due to the GLUED shrink connector/tubing.

The new connection is more durable than the adjacent wire insulation.

And there is lies the problem. You still have the old, deteriorated wire between your nice new splice and the connections on the inside of the boat. Still old and with the insulation falling off.

And with the extra time and expense of that set-up, I'd have replaced 2 sets of senders complete. When you have a tool bent up just the right way, and use a pull cord, the job's a breeze....

The other disadvantage of cutting and splicing is that you end up with a stiff straight section in the wire that can't follow the natural curve the wires would normally follow. That can easily lead to pinched wires as the drive turns port and starboard....

Chris.......

Levithan

Banned

mercruiser do not recommend diassembling the sending units or splicing the wires

That is BS
They are totally serviceable, and easily at that, get your nose out of the book and under the hood.

achris

That is BS
They are totally serviceable, and easily at that, get your nose out of the book and under the hood.

Please show us where Merc have a service procedure... As an ex-dealer (and someone who definitely has a large and expensive axe to grind against Merc) I also know they are UNSERVICEABLE! You might be able to open them up, but they are not likely to last long after that....

Maybe it's time you started looking in the book. As much as it pains me to admit, Merc produce one of the best service manuals of any industry I have ever seen. If they recommend not servicing them, that (unfortunately) is good enough for me.

Chris.......

dubs283

Vice Admiral

That is BS

well, the reason they don't recommend disassembling or splicing the wires is due to the fsct there is voltage passing through the wires and sending units

once they are opened and comprimised, there is a much greater chance of allowing stray current into the water which leads to massive corrosion issues, boaters already deal with corrosion due to the fact that putting a large piece of metal into water basically creates a battery and thus corrosion

this is mercruisers way of alleaviating an already prominent issue

oh, and by the way - usually the only reference i use the manuals for is a specific torque spec i have forgotten, otherwise i have read, studied and been tested thouroghly on mercruiser manuals, and i spend more than enough time "under the hood" to feel confident posting relevant information on this board

Levithan

Banned

Please show us where Merc have a service procedure... As an ex-dealer (and someone who definitely has a large and expensive axe to grind against Merc) I also know they are UNSERVICEABLE! You might be able to open them up, but they are not likely to last long after that....

Maybe it's time you started looking in the book. As much as it pains me to admit, Merc produce one of the best service manuals of any industry I have ever seen. If they recommend not servicing them, that (unfortunately) is good enough for me.

Chris.......

I could care less where merc shows that there is a service procedure or not.
For those of us with no how and igninuity we can service them.
Just because merc doesn't sell rebuild parts for something does not mean it cannot be rebuilt, you should try it sometime and stopping giving "THE MAN" your money, just because there is no documented procedure.

Levithan

Banned

well, the reason they don't recommend disassembling or splicing the wires is due to the fsct there is voltage passing through the wires and sending units

once they are opened and comprimised, there is a much greater chance of allowing stray current into the water which leads to massive corrosion issues, boaters already deal with corrosion due to the fact that putting a large piece of metal into water basically creates a battery and thus corrosion

this is mercruisers way of alleaviating an already prominent issue

oh, and by the way - usually the only reference i use the manuals for is a specific torque spec i have forgotten, otherwise i have read, studied and been tested thouroghly on mercruiser manuals, and i spend more than enough time "under the hood" to feel confident posting relevant information on this board

If you look at an old pair of trim senders you will see that every part inside can be serviced.
The O-rings can be replaced, the contacts sanded and lubricated with dielectric grease and the wires replaced.
Come on guys, use your heads and stop having to have a PROCEDURE for everything!

achris

... and stopping giving "THE MAN" your money, just because there is no documented procedure.

Hardly!!! When I can, I buy engine parts from GM. Just replaced the trim pump reservoir. Went to Parker-Oildyne for that, and saved over $150 on Merc's rip-off price!

What we're talking is not about 'doing it the Mercury way', we are talking about doing it right, the first time, and in such a way as to end up with a job that will last the distance... Not some half-assed, dreamed-up, cobbled together with bits of tape and fencing wire, back-yard botch....

EOD....

Chris.........