My boat is stuck in my driveway help.....

SS TOES

Recruit
Hi guys i hope someone can help me. Drained my gear oil but made the mistake of pulling the wrong plug screw at the bottom end. Now the shift lever pivot pin will not go back in. Does anyone have any knowledge of how to put it back?:
Please give me some help i need it bad.... Thanks SS TOES...

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: My boat is stuck in my driveway help.....

Lets start with a model number.

kfa4303

Banned

Hello SS. I think we've all been in your situation at one time, or another. Depending on the exact model, I would start by dropping the lower unit. You should now be able to move the lower the shift shaft rod every so slightly to help you align the hole in the clutch dog cradle with the hole for the phillips head screw. An extra pair of hands and/or a flashlight help a lot too. There's really no trick, you just have to be very patient and move the shift rod a bit until you can see all of the holes align at which point you can reinstall the screw. Take your time, be patient and cuss a lot if need be. If that doesn't do it, you may have to open the gearcase to put everything back together again, but that's an absolute last resort.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Take an awl and stick it into the hole. Disconnect the shift cable and wiggle the shfter arm on the motor, until the awl finds the hole. Now wiggle the awl until the hole is centered, and reinstall the shift pivot.

Not hard to do at all. You can also use the awl to move the shift cradle a bit to help find the hole.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Not hard to do installed as described by Chris above. I usually dont have to drop anything to do it for others that took out the phillips screw.

An awl or nail is needed though. I take off the shift rod coupler cover to be able to play with the shift rod a little easier sometimes though, depending on what model you have.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Knitting needle works, too. Good luck.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

JB, A knitting needle is not very manly....

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

As "AEROCOOK" suggests..... Model number? We need to know what engine you're speaking of.

Smaller engines... Many can be corrected simply by turning the engine upside down and getting that shift lever back in place. If not, the last resort is to dismantle the lower unit.