Will this Boat be underpowered?

basstender10.6

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am looking at a 2000 Carolina Skiff Sea Chaser 175. It has a 70hp yamaha 2 stroke, and comes with a trailer. The boat has new cushions, a Bimini, a trolling motor and the engine was just serviced. The boat looks to be in nice shape.

I was wondering if the boat would be underpowered with this engine.

The dealer is asking $4,900. Does anyone know if this is a good price for the boat or how much a new one costs?
Thanks

Attachments

• l_img_0101.jpg
    l_img_0101.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 1

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Will this Boat be underpowered?

My guess is that that boat is rated for 100-125HP, which would make it slightly underpowered with a 70.

That is only a guess because you didn't tell us what the boat is rated for. As a rule of thumb, you need at least 70% of the rated max HP for satisfactory performance. More HP will only slightly increase top speed.

My Boston Whaler 17 with a 100HP got 43mph, the replacement 70 got 40mph. It was rated for 100HP.

If the boat is pristine that seems like a fair price.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What are your plans with it, being a center console which is normally for fishing, that you may need to be going faster than 35 or so?

Is there wood used has part of the transom or main construction areas? If yes, then it's always advisable to have a surveyor check it for any water damage. If it checks out to your satisfaction, make the dealer an offer and go boating.

Mark

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Check on THT but I believe McKee stopped using wood in 2000. With that year or during? All models or?
What are your plans with it, being a center console which is normally for fishing, that you may need to be going faster than 35 or so?

Is there wood used has part of the transom or main construction areas? If yes, then it's always advisable to have a surveyor check it for any water damage. If it checks out to your satisfaction, make the dealer an offer and go boating.

Mark

jestor68

Commander

The Carolina Skiff 175 has a dry weight of about 800 pounds with motor. With people, gear, and 24 gallons of gas; we're talking a little over 1400 pounds. If it had a Mercury Optimax 75 on it, the Merc prop selector would call for a 21 pitch prop; which would put it into the mid forties.

The Yamaha 70 should do a decent job(39-41 mph).

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Best you can do is take it for a test run and then judge for yourself.

Just recently I purchased a 16' Alumacraft with a damaged 70hp Evinrude. The boat is rated for a 75hp max. I replaced that 70hp 3cylinder with a 60hp 2 cylinder. That is a 20% reduction from the max. I was finally able to run it this past weekend and IMO that 60hp is still more power than this boat needs. Would hate to see what it would be like with a 70 or 75hp on the back.

I in this case the OMC 50hp is basically the same as the 60hp in size and weight and again I believe a 50hp would push this boat more than adequately and that would be a 33% reduction from max.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Carolina skiff are notorious for doing well with smaller motors (I run a 50 on a 19' J series) but the sea chaser is heavier and not as flat (still a great boat). So first, look at new ones and see how they are typically rigged; you can trust C'skiff to rig them correctly. Is the motor original?

I also run a 70 on a 17' key west; it has a bay boat design (not deep v) and is fairly flat and light, and it does great.

At that price that boat would be gone by now, here where people know boats like that. The hulls are bulletproof, require no maintenance, covers, etc. and can be bought sight unseen. No wood IIRC (it's not a mckee). Grab it and get on the water!

basstender10.6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The new ones are powered with either a 50 or 75hp four stroke. Some people opt for the 90hp 4 stroke but they say that it is too heavy.. The boat comes nicely equipped and I have plenty of supplies that will work on this boat. I am going to look at it this weekend.