Fuel Tank Question

Hvymtl

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1999 21 foot Legacy deckboat with built in gas tank. I suspect the tank pickup has been damaged ( not sucking fuel). Looking at the tank, there is a sending unit and next to it a fitting into the tank that has a large nut that that has a hose that takes the fuel to the transom nipple that then connects to the engine. I need to take the fitting out to check the pickup. It has a large nut securing it to the tank -- does this just thread out. Don't want to ruin it because the tank cannot be removed without a lot of work.

pevaguy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Fuel Tank Question

Is a fitting screwed into the large nut? If so while holding the large nut just screw the fitting out and hopefully the pick-up tube is attached to the fitting.

HenryB

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just went through the same thing. My pickup tube stopped picking up after the gas dropped to ? full. I suspect the plastic part of the tube assembly weakened and broke away.

I tried to remove the angle fitting that screwed into the large nut but gave up when the welded insert (Plastic welded to a plastic tank) in the tank began to give way. I chewed up the angle fitting at the same time, so I decided to cap it off using a piece of 2”, or so, PVC pipe. I drilled and tapped into the angle fitting, and made a circular cap somewhat larger than the pipe. I then assembled the piece of pipe over the fittings and filled the cavity with Goop. I then drilled a hole in the cap (made from using a 2 ?” hole maker and a plastic cutting board). I screwed the cap down with a screw. I "Gooped" all around the cap. Nothing will ever get through the seal.

I then bored another hole next to the Fuel Pickup hole and installed a bulkhead fitting and made a copper pickup tube than screws into the bulkhead fitting.

I can supply the fitting info if you intend to go that route.

Hopefully the fitting can be removed without the difficulty that I had.

Incidentally, did your tank recently develop gushing out the fill tube?

Hvymtl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is a fitting screwed into the large nut? If so while holding the large nut just screw the fitting out and hopefully the pick-up tube is attached to the fitting.

Pickup is good........ the check valve barb broke off in my hand...was must have been cracked 3/4 of the way around :facepalm:

Hvymtl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just went through the same thing. My pickup tube stopped picking up after the gas dropped to ? full. I suspect the plastic part of the tube assembly weakened and broke away.

I tried to remove the angle fitting that screwed into the large nut but gave up when the welded insert (Plastic welded to a plastic tank) in the tank began to give way. I chewed up the angle fitting at the same time, so I decided to cap it off using a piece of 2?, or so, PVC pipe. I drilled and tapped into the angle fitting, and made a circular cap somewhat larger than the pipe. I then assembled the piece of pipe over the fittings and filled the cavity with Goop. I then drilled a hole in the cap (made from using a 2 ?? hole maker and a plastic cutting board). I screwed the cap down with a screw. I "Gooped" all around the cap. Nothing will ever get through the seal.

I then bored another hole next to the Fuel Pickup hole and installed a bulkhead fitting and made a copper pickup tube than screws into the bulkhead fitting.

Thanks HenryB....checkvalve was the problem..much easier fix !

HenryB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh, how I envy you. My boat hates me. I don’t know what I ever did to make it mad, but every opportunity it gets to get my goat it takes it.

Congratulations for having a boat with compassion.

ronwbanker

Recruit

Thanks HenryB....checkvalve was the problem..much easier fix !

Is it possible for you to take a picture and post please? I have the same problem and its giving me fits. I can not get the aluminum fitting out of the siphon tube where the 1 1/4" hex nut is on top of tank. Also have very limited working room. Any feedback is appreciated.

ronwbanker

Recruit

I tried to remove the angle fitting that screwed into the large nut but gave up when the welded insert (Plastic welded to a plastic tank) in the tank began to give way. I chewed up the angle fitting at the same time, so I decided to cap it off using a piece of 2?, or so, PVC pipe. I drilled and tapped into the angle fitting, and made a circular cap somewhat larger than the pipe. I then assembled the piece of pipe over the fittings and filled the cavity with Goop. I then drilled a hole in the cap (made from using a 2 ?? hole maker and a plastic cutting board). I screwed the cap down with a screw. I "Gooped" all around the cap. Nothing will ever get through the seal.

Is it possible for you to take a picture and post please? I have the same problem and its giving me fits. I can not get the aluminum fitting out of the siphon tube where the 1 1/4" hex nut is on top of tank. Also have very limited working room. Any feedback is appreciated.