18' Starcraft SuperSport restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 18' Starcraft SuperSport restoration

Thanks guy's....choices...Mmmmmm, that's what I luv about this place!
Rat's...this leads to decisions :D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Had dinner with a couple high school friends last night down in MD. Tonight I'm hoping to hit the water with my son in my dad's little tinny. So you probably aren't going to get any darn pics until the weekend. Did it stop snowing up there yet Andy?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

No project updates but we sure had a nice boat ride today!
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=383116

My dad did give me the plywood backer panels for my dash panels that he had taken home to rout out for me so they would recess a little bit. Should come out nice. The majority of the stuff I ordered on Tuesday will be here tomorrow. Yeah!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Well all my stuff that I ordered the other day arrived. It was fun opening all that up. The first thing I did was install the new windshield supports I got. Big improvement over the rusty originals.
DSCF2584.jpg

The windshield is now done. It didn't turn out TOO bad. It's definitely higher on the passenger side but the foam fills the gap. The top alignment isn't too bad either. I'll live with it.
DSCF2583.jpg

DSCF2582.jpg

DSCF2581.jpg

I don't have much other exciting progress because the transom is eating up my time. And we all know how exciting and interesting transom pictures are
DSCF2586.jpg

It's coming along though. I have 2 coats of epoxy on the one side and the other side is prepped and ready for its first coat. I sanded down all my JB Weld hole patches on back of the boat itself and they came out very nicely. I had to put a second coat over 2 of them. Once those are sanded that area will be ready for paint. The plan is to finish epoxying the transom board, install it, install all the bolts sealing them well with 5200, attaching the splash well to the transom board with 5200 and screws and then "caulking" the splash well/transom seam with 5200. Once all the 5200 is dry, I can paint it. Once that's dry, I can finally hang the motor. My steering system will be arriving Monday so I can get that, along with the dash panels, installed. I think I am about 2-3 weeks away from splashing it. I'm feeling pretty good about that since a number of the Chesapeake Bay area guys are just splashing theirs this weekend or next so I'm hardly behind on the "season" at all.

Here's a shot I took of my dad's new tinny that we took out on Thurs. http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/DSCF2577.jpg That's my Evinrude on it. It came with a Merc 5. I don't do Mercs :p Not bad for $600.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Dude..that windshield looks great..save the OCD for something that matters!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Windshield looks great, I agree with CBK, don't lose any sleep over that:)

How many gauges are you putting on the dash?

Are you starting from scratch with the electrical or do you have existing fuse boxes and everything?

heiliges

Seaman Apprentice

Love the windsheild setup as well. Blacking out the frame is an idea I just might steal from you.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Thanks guys.

How many gauges are you putting on the dash?

Not very many! There sure isn't much room! I think a tach, fuel, and trim. Maybe someday a volt meter.

I was originally planning on reinstalling my speedometer. As you may know, I hate boat speedometers and find them more trouble than they're worth. However mine worked well and the holes were already drilled in the transom. So I was gonna keep it. Well the other day I noticed that the lighting in it was completely missing which I knew would lead me to buying a new speedo. That's against my principles so I patched all the holes in the transom and ditched the whole idea. Probably wouldn't hardly be space for it anyway.

Are you starting from scratch with the electrical or do you have existing fuse boxes and everything?

I'm not one to ask about electrical. I tie all the blacks together, all the reds together, maybe a switch or two, call it a day :redface:

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

Dang EZ, that windshield looks SAH-WEET :D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Looks great EZ! I wonder if I should be thinking about putting some black on my windshield? Hmmmm. Two weeks to launch, sweet, nice job man!

singledoubt88

Seaman

wow man your boat looks perfect! such an inspiration to those that dont have a clue about these things (me)! Ive already stole a couple of your ideas like the slide/swivel pedestals and the ski locker form ebay, both great deals i might add. keep up the good work!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Thanks! I'm anxiously following your resto as well.

I have one more coat of epoxy to go on the transom board and then I can start assembling that. I have all my fasteners and 5200 ready to go.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Since you are into the trailer...... please make sure the safety chains are properly mounted ;)

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Your Pop's gotta cool little ride there and you can tell him I said so :p...luv to have one myself for those little hard to get to sweet fishing honey-holes.

And if your still queasy over that windshield dilemma...I'll trade you :D

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

EZ,

I am thinking of going black for the top windshield on my starchief! WHat did you paint yours with??

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

What did you paint yours with??

Primed it with Rusto clean metal primer, topper with semi-glass Rusto black. Time will tell if I needed to have ZC primered it. I used rattle cans which is a shame as everything I have ever rattle canned my like come out pretty bad. I'm terrible with those things.

singledoubt88

Seaman

EZ,

Im ordering my easypoxy from Jamestown as we speak, just wanted to ask a quick question about the blue on your boat. I really love the shade of it but was wodering if it is actually darker than it looks like on the pics? I really would like to achieve a sky blue or like a carolina blue... I know someone posted that it looked a little darker on the webcam? They show a bikini blue on the color chart that looks to me like what i want and the ocean blue a little darker than preferred, but after seeing yours it look light! Just figured Id ask beforehand Thanks Man!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Well at least on my monitor, the pictures looks pretty true color-wise. It is a very nice and bright color.

Status
Not open for further replies.