Alpha one Shifting cable adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericcarr2000

Ensign
Ok, I need to do some adjusting on my shifting cable that goes to the outdrive. When I put it in forward, it seems as it takes almost halfway through to get it fully engaged. How do I go about adjusting this cable. When I put into gear it slowly clicks for a bit before it engages. Is there a way I can get it to just "click" into gear as soon as I put it in forward gear?

FireCkn

Cadet
Re: Alpha one Shifting cable adjustment

This is the adjustment for the cable that goes through the transom and to the drive. Sounds like this is what needs adjustment that clicking sound is the dogs on the gear trying to engage fully.

Push in on drive unit shift cable while simulta- neously turning propeller shaft counterclockwise until shaft stops, to ensure drive unit is complete- ly in forward gear. Maintain pressure on propeller shaft with a suitable device (elastic strap).

Measure distance between center of hole in shift cable end guide and center of brass barrel. Measurement should be 6 in. (153 mm). Turn brass barrel in direction necessary to obtain this dimension.

If old shift cable was equipped with an end guide stop clip, remove clip from old shift cable. Once brass barrel adjustment is correct, install end guide stop clip on threaded tube. Position as shown, with tang touching brass barrel.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Here are the instructions for adjusting the shift cables. If you fail to follow or skip a step or two because you think they make no difference, it won't work properly.

View attachment A1 Shift Cable Adjust.pdf

ericcarr2000

Ensign

Thanks for the input, are these adjustments on the remote commander or on the linkages on the side of the motor?

Don S

Thanks for the input, are these adjustments on the remote commander or on the linkages on the side of the motor?

Why don't you at least look at the instructions before asking....

ericcarr2000

Ensign

I did Don, i just read through the directions and it seems pretty straight forward. The directions just say to pretty much work on the shift cable, all im asking is, is this the linkage that is mounted on the side of the motor, or do I need to take off the remote commander........
Why don't you at least look at the instructions before asking....

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

the adjustments are made at the shift plate at the back of the boat. dont take the remote commander off.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

the adjustments are made at the shift plate at the back of the boat. dont take the remote commander off.

^^^+1 Facing the front of the motor the shift plate bracket will be on the right side sitting on top of the motor.

ericcarr2000

Ensign

Ok, I just got done doing the adjustment. The thing shifts just fine into forward gear however when I try to shift it into reverse, all I can hear is the clicking noise...

Don S

If it won't adjust, then it could be one or both shift cables are worn out and have too much slop in them, or maybe the problem is in the drive itself. Something is using up all the movement.

ericcarr2000

Ensign

Ok when I first put the out drive back on it at least shifted into gear, the problem occurred when I tried to do the adjustment so I readjusted them back to where they were and now it making that clicking noise going into reverse... Any ideas???
To break it all down I put my outdrive back on, it would shift into forward and reverse gear fine, it was just making a clicking while going into these gears. I kept the outdrive on and attempted to adjust the cables on the shifter linkage. It would go right into forward gear but the reverse gear it never would fully engage. At this point I re-adjusted the cables back to where they were in the beginning, 30 turns...Now it will go fully into forward gear but it is still just clicking when trying to engage the reverse gear. Any ideas????

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

You may have over adjusted the cable. (moved it too far in one direction so that now you have the reverse of the original problem) You can try moving it back slightly to see if this will correct the problem. (if the problem gets better but still isn't 100% move it a little more) If you eventually get to the point where you have your original problem back than most like likely, as Don suggested, the cable is just stretched out. This happens to every cable over time and there is no fix but to replace them when this happens. If a new cable doesn't fix the problem then it is in your drive somewhere but most likely it is the cable.

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

this is what I would do. start all over with adjustment procedure. adjust lower shift cable exactly as procedure shows. pay attention particularly to the part about the slot on the lower cable adjustment. start with pin at bottom of slot. finish adjustment procedure for both lower shift cable and remote cable. if you still have problems with reverse, try moving that pin in the slot up a little bit and recheck shifting. this slot is designed to help engage reverse. if you still have reverse problems then start looking for the things Don suggested above.

watch this video first, then go by the manual instructions. Mercruiser Alpha Shift cable adjustment - YouTube good luck!

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

i just re-read your last post......you should make these adjustments with the drive ON the boat. is that what you did at first?
you have to have the drive on, remote in full forward, and the prop rotated counterclockwise to lock the drive gears in forward. use a bungee to keep the prop pulled counterclockwise (viewed forward from the back of the boat).

if you already knew this...sorry.

natsgrampy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Last spring I replaced the shift cable on my alpha one. When I put it in the water to test it, it wouldn't go into forward gear. I tried making adjustments a little each time until it went into gear. This did NOT work!

I started from scratch following the instructions Don S gave here and within 20 minutes it was working like a charm. Just be sure to follow each and every step

ericcarr2000

Ensign

Yes I put the drive on first..
i just re-read your last post......you should make these adjustments with the drive ON the boat. is that what you did at first?
you have to have the drive on, remote in full forward, and the prop rotated counterclockwise to lock the drive gears in forward. use a bungee to keep the prop pulled counterclockwise (viewed forward from the back of the boat).

if you already knew this...sorry.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

The attached directions from Don are pretty straight forward. I've done the same procedure on my boat several times and on friends boats numerous times. They will either work or they won't. (it's a given you may have to adjust them a hair one way or the other but that is covered in the instructions) If they aren't working then you have a cable that is stretched and has to be replaced or you have problem inside of your drive. First you had the problem with forward but not reverse. Then you made a cable adjustment and had the same problem with reverse but not forward. Split the difference in the amount of adjustment you made between the two and that SHOULD fix the problem. If it doesn't then you have a bad cable which HAS to be replaced or a drive problem. From what you are describing it sounds like it is a cable problem.

ericcarr2000

Ensign

That is what I was looking for, im more of a visual learner than anything. To be able to actually see how it is done is critical in my opinion. I will be trying this again within the next few days, Ill let you know how it turns out....
this is what I would do. start all over with adjustment procedure. adjust lower shift cable exactly as procedure shows. pay attention particularly to the part about the slot on the lower cable adjustment. start with pin at bottom of slot. finish adjustment procedure for both lower shift cable and remote cable. if you still have problems with reverse, try moving that pin in the slot up a little bit and recheck shifting. this slot is designed to help engage reverse. if you still have reverse problems then start looking for the things Don suggested above.

watch this video first, then go by the manual instructions. Mercruiser Alpha Shift cable adjustment - YouTube good luck!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Are you positive you installed the drive correctly? Not having the wheel located in the slide would mimic this problem.
I would pull the drive, put control box in full foward,, adjust cable so that the upper shoe is in a straight line, then reinstall the drive.
readjust as necessary. rarely more than 2-10 turns of the barrel is sufficiant.

Status
Not open for further replies.