engine mounts rot

lbyeah

Cadet
ok i have read lots about the mount rot and how its deeper than whats seen.

Heres my problem??.. I have a 1980 srv 225vanguard xl .

lag bolts shot pulled right out. I cut the tops off to find that there was a piece of 1x under that a piece of 2x6? they where worm dirt. neither were connected in any way to the stringer. nor did the lag bolts penetrate past them. is that normal. the stringer was wet but is drying out and solid. In my eyes the only thing holding the motor down was the glass !!??? ANy one with input..???

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: engine mounts rot

Welcome to the Iboats dry dock, lbyeah...

If the condition of the motor mounts are as you have described, you really need to check for rot in places like the lower most part of the transom and any other stringers...

You can do this by taking some core samples using a 3/8" drill...you can go through the stringers and bulkheads, but on the transom, wrap a piece of tape about 1" -1-1/4" on the drill bit to keep from going all the way thru...

If the wood shavings come light, bright and dry, you can seal up the holes with some 3M 5200 marine sealant...

If the wood shavings come out dark and wet, well, you'll have some serious decisions to make...

The motor mounts USED to be solid wood covered in fiberglass, they need to be solid to properly support the engine and the power generated...

Best of Luck...:)
GT1M

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Wooden stringers laminated with fiberglass don't dry out, they'll stay wet until the rot to worm dirt like your mounts did.

lbyeah

Cadet

Welcome to the Iboats dry dock, lbyeah...

If the condition of the motor mounts are as you have described, you really need to check for rot in places like the lower most part of the transom and any other stringers...

You can do this by taking some core samples using a 3/8" drill...you can go through the stringers and bulkheads, but on the transom, wrap a piece of tape about 1" -1-1/4" on the drill bit to keep from going all the way thru...

If the wood shavings come light, bright and dry, you can seal up the holes with some 3M 5200 marine sealant...

If the wood shavings come out dark and wet, well, you'll have some serious decisions to make...

The motor mounts USED to be solid wood covered in fiberglass, they need to be solid to properly support the engine and the power generated...

Best of Luck...:)
GT1M

im gonna drill some hole to check it out should i actually drill the bottom of the transom ??? im gonna drill the stringers a bit in a few spot if not bad ill stop there... thanks everyone for the input

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

should i actually drill the bottom of the transom ???

Yes, just make sure you put a piece of tape on the drill bit about an inch or so...so you don't go all the way through...
Most transoms are at least 1-1/2" to over 2" thick, so by drilling only about an inch into it, you shouldn't run the risk of going all the way through it...let us know what you find...

mwe-maxxowner

Master Chief Petty Officer

Also, drill the transom from the inside. Most would assume that is understood, but just to make sure you do.

lbyeah

Cadet

Also, drill the transom from the inside. Most would assume that is understood, but just to make sure you do.

drilled a few holes around the mounts the wood is there but its only about a inch maybe 2 thick and wet the airspace ill drill the transom later

lbyeah

Cadet

boat mount 2.jpg heres the mounts i cut the tops off took out a peice of 2x6 ish worm dirt drilled down in about an inch or so and theres open air no more wood also drilled from the side and towards the rear through the glass same thing about an inch or so the air. wood is wet but not rotten at all. Seems like the glass is the main support ?????? please chime in .. im goona drill the transom and see what i get .

lbyeah

Cadet

View attachment 188368 heres the mounts i cut the tops off took out a peice of 2x6 ish worm dirt drilled down in about an inch or so and theres open air no more wood also drilled from the side and towards the rear through the glass same thing about an inch or so the air. wood is wet but not rotten at all. Seems like the glass is the main support ?????? please chime in .. im goona drill the transom and see what i get .

ok drilled the transom and its dry YIPPIE.. also cut the tops of the stringers from mounts about 6 inches back wood on top is 2x6 its soaked then vertical under that 1x **** wood knocked it out and its a cavity open air that should dry here out I HOPE 2x6 is still solid just wet let it dry glass it and i should be good please chime in if you have ideas or suggestions