1984 Suzuki 40 hp 2 stroke idle speed fine, revs up at full throttle

charlie263

Recruit
I just inherited a 1984 Suzuki 40 hp 2 stroke and a 15 ft aluminum stick steer fishing boat. My brother tried to fix it up somewhat before he gave it to me , and he rebuilt the carburetor and replaced the impeller. It is cold natured , but after warming up , idles relatively well. I got to a clear spot in the small pond I live on and decided to open it up. The motor revs up to high throttle but the boat was not accelerating past idle speed. Is my prop slipping, or is the lower unit not put back correctly? Also, the power tilt works, but bleeds down. How do I fix that? Could that be some of the acceleration problem?
Thanks in advance for any help. Any questions just ask!
Charlie

Natty Light

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1984 Suzuki 40 hp 2 stroke idle speed fine, revs up at full throttle

I just inherited a 1984 Suzuki 40 hp 2 stroke and a 15 ft aluminum stick steer fishing boat. My brother tried to fix it up somewhat before he gave it to me , and he rebuilt the carburetor and replaced the impeller. It is cold natured , but after warming up , idles relatively well. I got to a clear spot in the small pond I live on and decided to open it up. The motor revs up to high throttle but the boat was not accelerating past idle speed. Is my prop slipping, or is the lower unit not put back correctly? Also, the power tilt works, but bleeds down. How do I fix that? Could that be some of the acceleration problem?
Thanks in advance for any help. Any questions just ask!
Charlie

I would pull the prop off and see how snug the fit is on the shaft. Once you have it off the answer may show itself. pulling a prop is a simple task and should be done once a year anyway. Google "prop change" and you'll find tons of tutorials on how to do it. you could at least eliminate the prop slip hypothesis.

Donmcc

Recruit
Re: 1984 Suzuki 40 hp 2 stroke idle speed fine, revs up at full throttle

I would pull the prop off and see how snug the fit is on the shaft. Once you have it off the answer may show itself. pulling a prop is a simple task and should be done once a year anyway. Google "prop change" and you'll find tons of tutorials on how to do it. you could at least eliminate the prop slip hypothesis.

Sounds like prop slip. Most of the time you will be able to see if the rubber has sliped on the hub, if you are not sure you can take a small chissel and put a mark on the prop and one on the hub, run it and then look at your marks. If they don't line up then thats your problem.