cd 13, shift shaft seal bushing removal

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer
this is the first lower unit that i cant get the bushing out the normal way (shaft bushing tool). i threaded the bushing (5/16) then used a bolt and puller to yank the bugger out. can i just reinstall the bushing? or should it be replaced? i decided that i would try the thread the bushing trick before drilling out the housing.

i am going to do another lower unit, is this the normal route to remove the bushing? or should i have drilled out the housing with a 5 1/6 bit? housing hole is only 1/4" so the shaft tool bottoms out on the housing and doesnt push the bushing out.

manual shows a extractor, or slide hammer but i havent seen a slide attachment that will fit in a 1/4" hole.

thank you
dino

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant
Re: cd 13, shift shaft seal bushing removal

Just reuse the bushing. The O-ring seals it. The busing just keeps the O-ring in place.

dkonrai

Just reuse the bushing. The O-ring seals it. The busing just keeps the O-ring in place.

thanks,
is it ok to drill the housing 5 1/6? or just thread the next one?

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

I am not sure what you mean. The hole the shifter goes through is about 1/4" in diameter. Are you talking about widening that to 5/16" for some reason? When you say "drill the housing". What exactly do you want to drill?

To get that bushing out, I always just thread a new 5/16" thread into the bushing. Screw in a 5/16" bolt and either pull it out or push from the other side, if my lower unit is apart.

I think there is a tool that looks like a rod that has a 1/4" diameter and widens to 5/16". The idea is that the 5/16" part bottoms on the bushing and you tap it out with that. I don't have the tool so I have never tried that.

dkonrai

I am not sure what you mean. The hole the shifter goes through is about 1/4" in diameter. Are you talking about widening that to 5/16" for some reason? When you say "drill the housing". What exactly do you want to drill?

To get that bushing out, I always just thread a new 5/16" thread into the bushing. Screw in a 5/16" bolt and either pull it out or push from the other side, if my lower unit is apart.

I think there is a tool that looks like a rod that has a 1/4" diameter and widens to 5/16". The idea is that the 5/16" part bottoms on the bushing and you tap it out with that. I don't have the tool so I have never tried that.

the other lower units i have worked on, the housing has a 5 /16 hole so i can use the bushing removal tool. the bushing is 1/4" but so is the shift shaft hole in the housing, i.e. the tool wont work. so is it ok to drill the housing? i guess i will just do the same thing you have done and just thread a bolt in and pull the shaft bushing.
dino

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

I can't see making the opening in the housing 1/16" larger, becoming a problem, since as I said, it is the O'ring that seals it, but I would stick to the thread and bolt method, if it was me.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

The o- ring seals it,the bushing holds the shaft from wiggling side to side. If it wiggles,it'll leak. Dont drill it bigger.
My 2 cents.....

dkonrai

The o- ring seals it,the bushing holds the shaft from wiggling side to side. If it wiggles,it'll leak. Dont drill it bigger.
My 2 cents.....

thread and bolt it is!
thanks
dino