Drain Plug Key?

Jakebob

Seaman
Hi,
I've just purchased my first outboard powered boat. Everything else I've ever been in has had a plug with a handle, but this one threads in from the outside of the boat. No issues with the plug itself, but I'm wondering if there is a tool that you're supposed to use to install it.

It has a strange shaped end that looks sort-of like a mushroom. Sorry if this is silly, but is there some type of "key" that should be used to tighten the plug?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Drain Plug Key?

Never heard of it. All that I have seen in my 50+ years of boating were either the lever type where the lever is parallel to the transom when locked (has a ring in the end you put your finger in), pull the lever to 90 degrees from the transom and pull the plug, or the type that has a pin in it and you just unscrew it and when loose enough, grasp the pin/shank and pull it out.

Possibly you have some sort of self bailing setup.

Best I can do,

Mark

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

well up till you said it looked like a mushroom I was pretty sure you just had a 1/2" pipe plug..... commonly they use a 9/16" wrench to tighten...... strange mushroom shape????? maybe a plug with a zinc attached????

A screw in plug it pretty common on bigger boats over 16'

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Had an old (1958) Alumacraft that had a metal screw in plug, about 3/4" diameter. Knurled around the edge, thin rubber o-ring, hand tightened, then a half turn with a pliers.

Jakebob

Seaman

The drain actually looks like this:

http://www.iboats.com/Garboard-Drain-with-Plug-SeaDog-Line/dm/*******.874355955--**********.854513657--view_id.167316

But instead of the square head on the plug, it has a recessed "mushroom" shape that looks like you would put some kind of key or something into. The plug looks like it might be stainless steel.

I'll try and take a pic tonight. The more I think about it, it's likely that someone used some type of household plumbing thing with the same size and pitch.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Same plug in my boat. Just keep an open end wrench that fits it in the boat.
Those are very common drains..

You can get the brass plug with the square end at about Any Ace hardware in the plumbing parts.

Jakebob

Seaman

thanks but it's not the plug pictured. I know that you can get a replacement, and I might even have one in the house! :D

I'm just wondering if anyone knows what the plug is. It doesn't have the head for the open wrench, it's not hex, and it's not a recessed square like you would put a ratchet in. Funky shape.

the search continues...

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

thanks but it's not the plug pictured. I know that you can get a replacement, and I might even have one in the house! :D

I'm just wondering if anyone knows what the plug is. It doesn't have the head for the open wrench, it's not hex, and it's not a recessed square like you would put a ratchet in. Funky shape.

the search continues...

It's probably the garboard plug you pictured, just installed backwards. Probably need to jam something in there to remove it.

One caution about using hardware store plugs, they are brass and not meant for a marine environment. Probably be fine in a lake though, but really, you should just use a bronze plug. It's not really worth the extra couple of bucks when you consider the consequences of a failure.

Never ever use stainless in through hull applications below the waterline (assuming you can find an SS 1/2" NPT plug...).

izoomie

Petty Officer 1st Class

Maybe it was installed from the inside. Do you have access to the plug from the inside of the boat?

mphy98

Lieutenant

You can get a replacement plug from Wally world for about 2 dollars. They are made from plastic, but I would thing it would do the same job as brass.

Jakebob

Seaman

I've had it out. It's on the outside and righty-tighty lefty-loosie, so don't thinks it's backward. The other end is solid. I'll have to get a picture.

Alumarine

Captain

I've had it out. It's on the outside and righty-tighty lefty-loosie, so don't thinks it's backward. The other end is solid. I'll have to get a picture.

They will always be righty-tighty lefty loosy, even if installed wrong.

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer

Man...Go take that pic.....I'm going crazy waiting to see what this thing looks like :D

Proselect

Petty Officer 1st Class

Now no matter what happens you must take a pic and post it. I think not seeing this is eating at some of us!!

Jakebob

Seaman

So now that I think about it. I suppose it's possible that it was a more standard "drive" and the round part of the mushroom is from where it may have been broken??

My wife is going out to take a pic and send it to me. I'm at work.

Jakebob

Seaman

I'm an idiot. It's just a big "X" I don't know what I was thinking. Sorry for the dumbassery.

So I think it's chrome on brass. Should I replace with bronze as mentioned here?