Repairing brake system on trailer

LVNeptune

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am trying to get ahold of the original manufacture of this trailer which was built in '89 and they are apparently still around but I was wondering how I go about finding out how to replace the braking system. For some reason the master cylinder had a little quick release attachment going to the wheels but someone cut it. I don't know the condition of the master cylinder but I would assume the brakes need to be replaced. They look to be drums. I assume I need new lines as well. Are all these parts pretty universal? It's a bearing buddy axle if that makes any difference (I don't think it does). It seems like the braking systems just clamp onto the wheel assembly. What information do I need to get a better idea of what to buy? Thank you.

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Repairing brake system on trailer

Brakes are pretty much Generic.
Trailer manufacturers put on whatever they got a deal on that week.
Bearing Buddy's are an aftermarket Add-On.

For some reason the master cylinder had a little quick release attachment going to the wheels but someone cut it.
Are you referring to the emergency actuator arm that would attach to the hitch? :confused:
What is the Make and Model of Actuator?

Pictures would help a lot!:cool:

Don''t start blindly replacing parts until you know they are bad. :D

tpenfield

Staff member

Champion Trailers is the #1 trailer parts dealer for boat and utility trailers. Champion Trailer's specializes in trailer axles, hydraulic and electric trailer brakes, trailer hubs, trailer springs, trailer tires, trailer lights, trailer bearings, an

Trailer manufacturers buy all of their materials and component parts from a standard set of sources.

so, it is really not necessary to be in contact with the manufacturer of the trailer. You can source good replacement part online or if there is a trailer parts supplier in your area, even better.

try the link above for the parts you need.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Brakes are brakes. I just recently converted my rusty old drum brakes to disc. I bought a complete kit like this one. Tie Down Engineering Complete Disc Brake Installation Kit 82101 - iboats. It worked perfect. Whole kit came with every single part I needed, from discs to master cylinder to brake lines to brake line clips. Installed in about an hour, but took about 3 to bleed the system out. With an 89, you probably need all that stuff anyway. It even comes with new hubs and bearings in the discs.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Brakes are brakes.
There are quality differences. Sorry to say, I wouldn't put a Tie-Down system on my trailer if someone gave them to me for free. Saying that, I have 4 Tie-Down disc assemblies that I took off my trailer after 1 1/2 years that anyone can have for free. :)

LVNeptune

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It's got to work better than having NO brakes, right? I would love a free set. You including the brake lines, etc.? :)

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

There are quality differences. Sorry to say, I wouldn't put a Tie-Down system on my trailer if someone gave them to me for free. Saying that, I have 4 Tie-Down disc assemblies that I took off my trailer after 1 1/2 years that anyone can have for free. :)

can you split a set off?? id love to install a single set on each of my trailers. I have one new set already to install. i could use another. ill pay for the shipping.. they are surge brakes...right?

are the rotors 5X4.5?
ny state!

has to be less than $50

bob

LVNeptune

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Mind you I'm not hauling a 12,000 pound boat. It's a 21' 88 Sea Ray. The brakes on my truck suck as it is and having brakes on the boat trailer would really help.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I will see if I still have them. I know at least one of the calipers has a stuck piston and one or multiple rotors are warped. To be honest, I wouldn't install them on anything.

UncleWillie

Captain

Neptune,

Piecing bits from each of your posts...

Are you sure the actuator has not been tripped?
If it was tripped and the pressure has long since bled off, you would have no trailer brakes.
There is usually a reset lever on the bottom to release them.
Does the actuator slide on the pins?

Again, What is the make and model of Actuator?

LVNeptune

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I don't know the model. I tried finding information out about it but there's nothing with any numbers. The brake line is disconnected from the actuator completely. It was cut somehow. It looks similar to this: Atwood Disc Surge Brake Actuator - Atwood Mobile Products 87478 - iboats

This is the piece that's disconnected.

cableconn.jpg

I will get more pictures later tonight. Thanks so much.

UncleWillie

Captain

Pictures will help.

Open/Cut brake lines are going to be a Red Flag item as brakes and moisture attract each other and are extremely non-compatible.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

That looks like a quick disconnect. Does the trailer have a removable tongue?

LVNeptune

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes. The tongue has a single bolt that goes through the trailer holding it on. The actuator looks welded to that piece as well... Odd (?) Does this make any difference?

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I never said all brakes were the same. What I meant was that no matter what trailer you have, the trailer manufacturer does not make their own brake system and he can buy a complete setup from anyone. No need to try to match his old setup.

I would dump those drum brakes as soon as I could. I rebuilt my drum brakes at the beginning of last season. I use the boat in mixed salt and fresh application. Mostly fresh, and I had a flush kit on mine. I flushed them every time I went into the water. In August last year I heard a clunking noise when backing. Pulled off the drums and there was nothing but rusty bits floating around in there.

I bought the setup I have because I found them on ebay, complete kit with an open box for $250. I have had them on there since wihtout issue at all. They work flawlessly. So my thoughts are if I get a year out of them I can upgrade to better, possibly stainless parts. But for $250 I wasnt gonna complain. I spent more than that on the drum brake REBUILD a few months before and it was useless.

I am sure you guys will hear if I have issues. I will post it up here on iBoats. But for now they are working perfect.

tpenfield

Staff member

Looks like an extendable tongue set up . . . usually, you find those for sailboats.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Yes. The tongue has a single bolt that goes through the trailer holding it on. The actuator looks welded to that piece as well... Odd (?) Does this make any difference?
If you are never going to take that tongue off, I would get rid of that quick release. Just one more thing to go wrong.

Thalasso

Commander

Mind you I'm not hauling a 12,000 pound boat. It's a 21' 88 Sea Ray. The brakes on my truck suck as it is and having brakes on the boat trailer would really help.

12000lb 21ft boat? Have you had this weighed? My boat is 30ft.with a triple axle Trailer 120gals of fuel and it only comes in at 11700lbs

Thalasso

Commander

I don't know the model. I tried finding information out about it but there's nothing with any numbers. The brake line is disconnected from the actuator completely. It was cut somehow. It looks similar to this: Atwood Disc Surge Brake Actuator - Atwood Mobile Products 87478 - iboats

This is the piece that's disconnected.

cableconn.jpg

I will get more pictures later tonight. Thanks so much.

That appears to be a backup selinoid for your disc brakes.