Removing Motor From Boat Or Not Before Painting

pilgrim52946

Cadet
I have a 1975 50hp Evinrude motor which I'm thinking about painting. Not the engine or hood just the main part and lower unit. My question is could I paint it while it's on the boat or would I have to remove it? I don't have an engine stand although I'm sure I could build one if I had too. Giving that the motor is rather heavy it might be a little difficult lifting it off the boat and putting it on a stand. Also concerning the lower unit would I have to separate that from the motor and drain the gear oil as well before sanding, priming and painting it? I live in an apartment building and have a terrific space in the parking garage for the boat but space is limited with regards to working on it for this type of project. I'm not sure which way to go with this any suggestions? Thanks

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Removing Motor From Boat Or Not Before Painting

I like the idea of leaving it on. Unless you have an overhead crane you will be just asking for problems and you could scratch up your handy work just trying to get it remounted.

Mark

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Sand and wipe off the area to be painted, with acetone. Mask off the boat and spray the motor. The hood may be done seperately.

BTW - your neighbors will hate you the same, no matter which method you choose....

pilgrim52946

Cadet

I like the idea of leaving it on the boat to Mark especially since there is zero chance of me using any sort of crane to lift it off.
The height between the floor and the ceiling is about 7ft. and I'm 6:1 so not much chance of using any kind of A frame or crane.

pilgrim52946

Cadet

Sounds like a good plan to me Chris. Just got to make sure I do a good job at masking it off so I don't get any over spray on the boat or anything else. My options are limited here other than sending it out and that could get expensive for sure.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I have personally pulled a 75 off the transom with the help of one other guy. The 50 should be a piecocake. Just lift straight up and set it down on the skeg. The third person moves the boat forward and pushes the stand in place. Then pick it straight up and set it down on the stand. Thus, you're only going up and down.

Masking is OK, but if you intend to do the transom bracket you really need to get on all sides. Acetone is good, but I like to hit it with a drill and wire brush too. That'll damage the transom.

Leave the lower unit on and paint it as one piece. Just be careful not to damage any exposed gaskets. Sand the area, but don't use the wire brush there. The drain plugs will get painted as well, but you can scrape the paint off them the next time you change the lower unit oil.

Mohawkmtrs

Chief Petty Officer

You likely know this already, but DO NOT apply paint to any sacrificial anodes.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I understand your dilemma. I am the type to take it off and do the job completely at one time. But that is just me. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. Either way take your time and make sure everything is prepared correctly for the new paint to stay... Once you think you have everything clean and ready for paint, clean it again... Oil residue is some hard stuff to clean off, especially on outboard engines. And if you do sand down to the metal, PRIME it before painting over it. Otherwise your efforts will be lost quickly. Maybe a good idea would to be to take it to a manual car wash and clean everything off initially with a high pressure car wash sprayer for starters...JMHO!

pilgrim52946

Cadet

Given the year this motor was manufactured (1975) and according to the mechanic who maintains this motor there was never an anode installed. This probably explains why there they is so much pitting around the prop area. Also this is a second lower unit for this outboard as the original one played footsy with a rock and was totalled. Once I get this painted ect I will have one installed or put it on myself.

pilgrim52946

Cadet

Never thought of taking it to a car wash gm, great idea I will do that before I do anything. I will most certainly prime it before painting. I will be using a product called Mar-Hyde single stage self etching primer. Apparently the zinc chromate is really toxic as far as I know.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Aerosol brake cleaner is excellent for semi final wash before the car wash. The combination of chemicals and high pressure is an excellent degreaser prior to painting. Sometimes I have an air hose in one hand and it in the other. Spray and blow. Works great and chemicals are mild enough that they don't melt old paint; just take the grease off.

After you get it painted, let the paint thoroughly dry before use so that you don't peel the LU paint off with water pressure.

Mark

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

exhaust.jpgCharger.jpgFine art.jpg101_0244.jpg101_0017.jpg

I was lazy and painted both these engines while on the boat. I did not, however, paint the power trim or transom clamps. Covers were obviously done off the engine. You can see where I got lazy and did not mask the control cables or insulating grommet.

Someday I am going to tear one down completely and paint not only the outside but the engine block too--maybe have it sent out to be anodised. That's on my bucket list!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

View attachment 184381View attachment 184382View attachment 184383View attachment 184384View attachment 184385

I was lazy and painted both these engines while on the boat. I did not, however, paint the power trim or transom clamps. Covers were obviously done off the engine. You can see where I got lazy and did not mask the control cables or insulating grommet.

Someday I am going to tear one down completely and paint not only the outside but the engine block too--maybe have it sent out to be anodised. That's on my bucket list!

Awesome job. But is that allowed on a family site?....LOL

I showed it to my wife and told her I wanted one too but she said I couldn't have it!!!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

ruthie.jpg

Jim: The pictures from which the decals were made are both considered fine art. One mermaid is by an artist called Boris Vallejo who has the highest reputation in fantasy art. It is titled: "Hippocampus." The other (I don't remember the artist's name) is in a museum in Warsaw and neither you nor I would ever be able to afford to buy it. It is whimsically titled "Last Baltic Mermaid Catching Bird Flu."

They are both certainly less prurient than some commercials seen on your TV.

This mermaid is also fine art and is entitled: "Honey, Dear, or sometimes Sweetheart."

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I had the same motor, I just lifted it off the transom by myself and put it on the stand, it wasn't that difficult.