Status
Not open for further replies.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: '79 Starcraft SS 16 restoration

Looking great Huron!!!

Ok, here is what I think...

Use the old template.

Don't smoke while you are looking for that mepps spinner that slipped under the deck.

If you are planning on smoking while looking for that spinner just go ahead and take back that pink stuff. Rummage around your recycling bin and combine what you find with noodles!

I know, I'm not very helpful.

Cheers Buddy!

Huron Angler

Admiral

OK...so I know you are going to laugh...but I finally removed the steering wheel cover and got the nut off the column.

I think the warmer weather helped get it removed without breaking it. It is still in the 40s here so no gluvit yet.

The wheel is still on but I am making progress:)

I believe I read somewhere that it is a bad idea to actually remove the gears on the steering aparatus. Is this true? Mine is full of old dirty grease and all kinds of dirt and I'm considering taking it apart.

DSCF5618.jpg

DSCF5619.jpg

Plywood waiting to be cut and epoxied.

DSCF5615.jpg

bananaboater

Ensign

Pink foam board for flotation...it says it is flammable!?! Is this what you guys used?

Yup, what me worry? You will have an extinguisher on board right?

Albert

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer

remind me, the epoxy or poly resin, wood, and carpet will burn as well.:) Fire extinguishers required.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Well I have a problem...it's getting warmer every day...and I took the afternoon off yesterday so I could work on the boat:D

Long story short...I ended up bolting the transom on my 12 footer and went out fishing in my icy river with my buddy Chris. Great first run of the season and my 5.5hp fired right up and ran great.

Coolest thing was that with the water levels being so high from the snow melt, we didn't even have to portage over the huge fallen oak tree:) We zipped right over it.

I finally did get my tax return check so I can go buy some epoxy resin and get going on this SS. My dad is dropping off some gear and tools today that will help me out as well.

Some needs to take my fishing poles away so I will finish the rig!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Well I have a problem...it's getting warmer every day...and I took the afternoon off yesterday so I could work on the boat:D

Long story short...I ended up bolting the transom on my 12 footer and went out fishing in my icy river with my buddy Chris. Great first run of the season and my 5.5hp fired right up and ran great.

Coolest thing was that with the water levels being so high from the snow melt, we didn't even have to portage over the huge fallen oak tree:) We zipped right over it.

I finally did get my tax return check so I can go buy some epoxy resin and get going on this SS. My dad is dropping off some gear and tools today that will help me out as well.

Some needs to take my fishing poles away so I will finish the rig!

Ahhh man! You went fishing! I am jealous, not afraid to admit it. How did you do?

Huron Angler

Admiral

Ahhh man! You went fishing! I am jealous, not afraid to admit it. How did you do?

We didn't catch any pike as planned...but my buddy did have one strike. We did see tons of geese, wood ducks, muskrats, one otter/mink and a conservation officer. He pulled up right when we were launching the little rig.

Yes, he busted us...we forgot the pfd's and had to go rent two lifejackets from the bait shop to be compliant. He was a good guy, but said the water is way too cold to be out there without some flotation.

He checked our fishing licenses(still valid from last year until the end of March;)) and mentioned that we were the first boat he's seen out this year.:)

Felt great to be back on the water:D:D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

We didn't catch any pike as planned...but my buddy did have one strike. We did see tons of geese, wood ducks, muskrats, one otter/mink and a conservation officer. He pulled up right when we were launching the little rig.

Yes, he busted us...we forgot the pfd's and had to go rent two lifejackets from the bait shop to be compliant. He was a good guy, but said the water is way too cold to be out there without some flotation.

He checked our fishing licenses(still valid from last year until the end of March;)) and mentioned that we were the first boat he's seen out this year.:)

Felt great to be back on the water:D:D

One strike, a bunch of wildlife, even being hassled by a DNR officer is WAYYYY better than anything I was doing in the middle of the day yesterday. Congrats man!

bananaboater

Ensign

My main lake, just 8 miles away, is an Army Corps flood control project. We had a bunch, more than usual, drownings in 2008 so they instituted a must wear lifejacket rule on a couple lakes to see if that prevents the irresponsible from drowning. Whenever underway all occupants must wear vests.

fshngho

Lieutenant

Sounds great, glad you got to go fishing. Me, I'm a hard nosed, nothing deters me, get the job done kinda guy, well, ok , I have gone three times so far:D Hey, I gotta make sure the motor runs don't I? (put the fuel pump on yesterday, installed new trim solinoid last week, new water pump impeller week before) God I LOVE this stuff!!! We have to remind ourselves why we do these restos:rolleyes: Doing a great job my friend and dont worry about the foam, I've never seen a burn barrel sink:D Dale

Huron Angler

Admiral

I had another day off yesterday since my dad was in town. He did drop off some important items for the boat while he was here and progress will commence from here on out.:)

Apparently he had an extra 17' boat cover since he keeps both his in a pole barn/garage. It should fit nicely and will allow me to store the boat outdoors if needed.

I inherited his old fishfinder since he upgraded to a GPS combo on his aluminum boat. It's a nice Garmin 160 that has the transducer and speed wheel hookups. It was removed from his boat carefully and is in good shape.

The coolest thing about it is that it has a digital volt meter built in. That means one less gauge to order, design for and install:D

Attachments

• garmin160.jpg
    garmin160.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 0

snowman48047

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow! Nice job so far. Keep it up spring is almost here!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Wow! Nice job so far. Keep it up spring is almost here!

Hey thanks buddy:D I hear ya, it's pretty nice out in Lansing right now but I'm stuck here at work(*bangs head on desk repeatedly*).

Have you posted some pics of your islander over in the starcraft forums?

We'd love to see it:D

Huron Angler

Admiral

Some shots of the Garmin fishfinder.

DSCF5634.jpg

DSCF5633.jpg

This is my new boat cover. It's from a 17' rig but should work just fine on the SS. Talk about saving me some cash...I had priced one at $270.

DSCF5630.jpg

DSCF5631.jpg

I'm an idiot and left my hitch in all winter...with the hitch lock:rolleyes: So this will need to be cut off or else I will have to switch from 1 7/8" to 2" all summer long. Or I could switch the new trailer for the Aerocraft to 2" and not deal with it at all.

DSCF5632.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

I managed to cut a pair of dash panels out of the 3/4" ply.

I was lucky enough to be able to use the rotten factory piece as a guide since it was covered in yellow vinyl all these years.;)

I may epoxy these and cover with my gray marine vinyl but I'm not sure. If not I will use pvc board that won't rot and these will be very good templates:D

They fit perfectly in the one frame that I have intact...I'm looking for a replacement but not hopeful.:rolleyes:

DSCF5651.jpg

DSCF5650.jpg

DSCF5649.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Free gear is sweet!! I love how you have random toys in some of your shots, trucks and stuff. Man that is such my life too! Rock on buddy!

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

My main lake, just 8 miles away, is an Army Corps flood control project. We had a bunch, more than usual, drownings in 2008 so they instituted a must wear lifejacket rule on a couple lakes to see if that prevents the irresponsible from drowning. Whenever underway all occupants must wear vests.

Amen..I require qall aboard to do the same. I have seen some scary things I do not want to happen to me or my mates...

Huron Angler

Admiral

Few things to report...I FINALLY managed to get my steering wheel removed from the rack:D I put the nut(with TONS of loc-tite on the threads:() back on and hit it with a hammer pretty hard to get it popped free.

This is major news since I've been notoriously hesitant to remove anything required to make the boat go:p

Next item to remove is the steering cable. I need to pull the rig out of my mini garage to do this so I've been putting that off.(tons of stuff to move first).

Gluvit will happen as soon as it warms up again here. We actually got some accumulation over the weekend(I thought it would melt right away:eek:) and my little boat got a nice little dusting outside.

I have been busy, family functions all weekend, birthday parties and stuff. I'm going to take a day off work to crank out tons of stuff this week or next week, so progress is right around the corner(I hope:)).

On a side note...I was BSing with my favorite uncle over the weekend...talking about boats and stuff. He says that he may get rid of his trihull next year as its in rough shape. He says he's going to give me the '75-'79 vintage Evinrude 75hp outboard when he's done with it!

He bought it about 10 years ago, has used it a bit and says it has been a great running motor for him. We are going to meet up and take our boats out on the saginaw river and bay later this summer, so I will be able to check it out a little bit. Can't wait to get this thing floating again.

A few Starcrafters(EZ, Puget) have mentioned that they'd like to see me outfit the rig with an OMC...and the vintage is perfect too:D Being a 3 cylinder the power/weight ratio is supposed to be great. So maybe the Merc will run strong for me...but I will have options if she gives me any trouble.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I got to work on the deck with the help of my two young boys this afternoon and we made some progress...

This is the amidships deck piece, 3/4" exterior ply. It's got the template drawn and ready to cut.

DSCF5666.jpg

A quick check using the old piece as a template before cutting...

DSCF5671.jpg

Holes for pedestal seat bases cut drilled and then out with sabre saw. The boys had a ball playing with their new "wheels" after they fell out when cut. I love seeing them using their imaginations and being creative.

DSCF5677.jpg

The size turned out to be a pretty darn good fit

DSCF5676.jpg

I decided to keep the seat bases in the same spot for the helm and portside, I will be investing in a locking adjustable helm seat apparatus at some point.

DSCF5675.jpg

One done...two more to go and then they can be epoxied

DSCF5681.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.