oil weight

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
I have a 1987 Mercruiser 4.3 175 hp. The manual says to use 40W oil for temps of 50 and above. Is straight 40W the best to use or 20-40w or 10-40w?

Oshkosh1

Ensign
Re: oil weight

Pour some 15w-40 DIESEL oil in it(Shell Rotella/Delo et al) with a QUALITY (Napa Gold/Wix etc...) filter and run it and "fuhgettaboutit".

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander

Pour some 15w-40 DIESEL oil in it(Shell Rotella/Delo et al) with a QUALITY (Napa Gold/Wix etc...) filter and run it and "fuhgettaboutit".

Why diesel oil? Are the additives that much better than marine oil?

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander

Don...I read page 63 and see that this topic has been discussed to death a number of times and everyone has their own opinion. I will stick with the newest recommendations link you listed. IMHO if Mercruiser recommends it, who am I to argue?

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Why diesel oil? Are the additives that much better than marine oil?

It usta be that Diesel oils had an older style additive package, similar to what was available in gasoline oils around the time your engine was born. Those additive packages had high pressure lubrication additives that are good for flat tappet lifters.
Most modern diesel oils are becoming more like regular gasoline oils. They are removing some of the old school additives, because modern diesels are now using diesel particulate filters in the exhaust system. Some of the heavy metals present in the older style oils will eventually poison those filters, hence their removal.

So...
Run what Mercruiser recommends, or what ever you feel like...

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Any good quality 10W40 or 20W40 motor oil would work fine.

Many marine fleet users will use the diesel oils because they're cheap and do a great job as long as no catalytic converters are involved.
I put it in my new F150 Yamaha on the first oil change.