bought a boat blind from someone i knew and....

89villain

Cadet
i found out the motor mount is sitting 1/2" low on drivers side (yes im new to boats). its a 454 in a chapparal villain3 and im not sure where to start.
will a piece of 1/4" plate be a good fix?
drill the holes for the studs coming up and lay the piece of 1/4" plate on the formed fiberglass perch? it looks like a formed fiberglass perch that the mount sits on. 12"x10" perch. there is hardly any wood on this boat besides the engine lid. any help would be appreciated.
thanks,
brian

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: bought a boat blind from someone i knew and....

We always like to say, " A picture is worth a thousand words" and it would sure be a big help here.

Spinnaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

i found out the motor mount is sitting 1/2" low on drivers side (yes im new to boats). its a 454 in a chapparal villain3 and im not sure where to start.
will a piece of 1/4" plate be a good fix?
drill the holes for the studs coming up and lay the piece of 1/4" plate on the formed fiberglass perch? it looks like a formed fiberglass perch that the mount sits on. 12"x10" perch. there is hardly any wood on this boat besides the engine lid. any help would be appreciated.
thanks,
brian

The big concern is that your alignment is ok. Your engine can be rotated and be fine but having the front up or down too much will mean an alignment issue. You best pull the drive and find an alignment tool. Or at least have that checked by someone. If it is ok then leave it.

89villain

Cadet

the mount is dead center of the motor on the drivers side. i couldnt get enough juice from my car battery to get the drive up so i could bring it home to get some pics.
when i said the motor was sitting a half inch low, i meant more of a lean to one side.
i will get pics tomarrow if i can get it home.
thanks,
brian

Spinnaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

the mount is dead center of the motor on the drivers side. i couldnt get enough juice from my car battery to get the drive up so i could bring it home to get some pics.
when i said the motor was sitting a half inch low, i meant more of a lean to one side.
i will get pics tomarrow if i can get it home.
thanks,
brian

That confirms my last post.

89villain

Cadet

lol gotcha. thought you were talking about tipping towards front of boat. i will snap some pics and post them asap.
thanks,
brian

Spinnaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just to make sure you know what I mean I made a couple examples.

Attachments

• bravo-1.jpg
    bravo-1.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 0
  • bravo2.jpg
    bravo2.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 0

hutch1096

Recruit

Are you sure it isn't like that to compensate for the torque? I have a Bass Boat and the outboard is kicked a little to the right and I was told by my mechanic that the manufacturer does that for torque reasons! Don't know, might be worth asking a mechanic?!?!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Once you determine why the motor is seated 1/2" low you need to inspect the motor mount. The mounts for the mercruiser 454 are adjustable.

Those are nice boats with a great ride. Once you are situated we would love to see a few pictures and lend you a few tips about inspecting the hull.

Bondo

Staff member

i found out the motor mount is sitting 1/2" low on drivers side

Ayuh,... From the tiny bit of Info presented,...
You've got a Rotten motor mount...
The ONLY fix is to pull the motor, REPLACE the Wood, then reinstall the motor...
If you don't,... It'll get exponentially more Expensive...

pete44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Get a small drill bit then drill into the motor mount area to "test" the wood..If if comes out dry you're OK..If not Bondo is unfortunately correct :(...You may want to tap around the area to see if you hear "hollow" sounds if you don't want to drill...

Pete