DF115 trim issue

jas504on

Cadet
I am having an issue with the trim on my 05' DF115 Suzuki. The first problem was the engine would, at random, tilt down and wouldnt stop. So it would continuously run in the down position, untill I unhooked the engine from battery terminal. It was consistently an intermentent problem and checked both switches, the one on the throttle shifter on console and the one on the engine itself. Both seem to work fine. Looke like I had a relay problem so I pulled the relay out and opened it up to look at the contacts in the relay, bingo!! It had bad contacts it looked like, they were black looking (burnt) cleaned them up real good and hooked relay back up and wouldn't you know that it does not get stuck in down position now but when I try and go up on trim it only goes up slightly and stops and when I let go of trim up button it actually trims down for a second and then stops and this is with no one actuating either of the switches. I checked the switch that tells the trim it has reached its maximum height up and it was not made when the motor stopped trimming up and the fact that it trims down a little bit after you let go of the trip up switch just baffles me lol......anyone?!?!

jas504on

Cadet
Re: DF115 trim issue

Does anyone have any advice?? Is there another switch in the trim system that I have over looked?? Doesn't make sense that the trim will go up just a bit and stop because the solenoid is getting power to go down because you can hear the solenoid click and I have it open so I can see the solenoid make it's other connection. So at a certain point when trimming up it (solenoid) gets a signal to also go down so that is why it stops and then I let go I the trim up switch and it trims down (with no trim buttons pressed) just for a second and stops. Does anyone have the schematic for this engine. I just want the electrical schematic for the trim system.

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer

That is a non serviceable relay. If it has failed, replace it. To correctly diagnose the problem, I suggest you purchase a factory service manual.

jas504on

Cadet

Ok so I figured it out. Blew up the wiring diagram for the engine and followed the system for the PTT and ruled out any other defective parts. Since the PTT was getting a signal from somehwhere telling it to go down when I am holding the up trim button, it has to be a short in the wiring somewhere. Sure enough! Start bending an moving the harness that the trim wiring is in (in the area where the harnes goes into floor to run to CC) and find a screw that penetrated the harness and exposed 2 of the 3 wires that are for the PTT. The wires were making at a certain height and telling the engine to go back down! Wrapped both individually with electrical tape and coated each with liquid electrical tape and wrapped harness back up with self adhering electrical tape and of course removed the screw that was for cover of the hole in floor where all wiring for engine goes to CC. PROBLEM FIXED, TIME TO FISH!!