1986 9.9 Johnson gas/oil leaking from prop exhaust

Blake0912

Petty Officer 1st Class
My 9.9 Johnson is leaking a heck of a lot of burnt oil/gas from the prop , the inside of the prop is covered with it after I run it on my muffs. I don't use this motor much in the water since its my kicker and I don't want to run it all the time in saltwater for no reason.

I checked the gear oil twice and it had no indication of water intrusion and the stuff coming out of the prop Deffineatly smells like gas but it's dark brown With a hint of blue ( oil color ).

My first thought was I had taken it to a machanic to fix the rope start and he ran it in a very dirty test tank so I thought it had sucked up a lot of dirty / oily water but I've ran It for about 30 mins pushing the boat around , and also on the muffs I start it up every weekend before I head out.

The motor runs fine and starts on the first pull , I can even start if by spinning the fly wheel by hand. Is this normal for these motors to leak that much oil/gas out of the prop or is this a sign of some gasket going bad ?

raczekp1

Lieutenant
Re: 1986 9.9 Johnson gas/oil leaking from prop exhaust

termostat juststack in open position
leaking fuel pump membrane
carb set too much reach

Blake0912

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fuel pump is new and its not leaking fuel. Carb should be set correct , machanic adjusted it while he was fixing the rope start.
But im not sure about the thermostat I've never replaced it. How would a stuck open thermostat cause a motor leak out fuel?

Thanks your your reply

Blake0912

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ah if the thermostat is stuck open the motor won't get hot enough to burn the extra oil so I will just leak out if the exhaust ( Just guessing )

Will this hurt my engine because it's not getting warm enough ?

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

Ah if the thermostat is stuck open the motor won't get hot enough to burn the extra oil so I will just leak out if the exhaust ( Just guessing )

Will this hurt my engine because it's not getting warm enough ?

Yes. But you should note that your condition is quite normal for motors that are run on muffs. I keep a pan under all my motors, all the time, for this very reason. I don't always get the goo but it's nice to have a pan under it in case I do. When running in the water, I usually try to open it up (WOT) for a minute or so before I bring the boat into the dock, just to burn that off, if I can.

Blake0912

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for your input. I guess I dont really have an issue then I was just making sure.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Unburnt 2 stroke oil likely. Nothing to worry about.

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

As kenmy & opty say, this is normal if you use the motor a lot in slow speed running like trolling & do not run it fast for long enough to allow the motor to really reach a temperature governed by the thermostat. You will get a lot of brown/milky or even black oily gunk dripping out of the prop for a week or so after useage. You also may get your spark plugs fouled oftener.

Blake0912

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you for the replys, Yes its mainly used at a "trolling" speed since its a kicker. If the winds are calm this weekend Ill put it on my flat bottom and give it a good WOT run. I figured that was the case because my 40 merc will do the same thing if I run it on my muffs for a while.