1975 15hp Evinrude Reassembly of Magneto Help

green_head_getter

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys, I have a 15504C evinrude. 1975 Evinrude 15hp. I tore the whole motor down and replaced rings and pistons. she runs great now. got to noticing tho that my magneto or throttle advance plate has a bit of wobble to it. Looked at my work bench and noticed a metal ring laying there 8-10 inches across. now i have looked at tons of diagrams and these metal pieces that bolt to the block and are in between the fuel advance plate and the magneto assembly plate are completely different than what the diagrams show. I have went back many years and forward many years trying to find something on this but everything I found shows different parts under the magneto. when this ring i have found is installed underneat the magneto assembly plate it makes everything too hard to turn. When I turn the throttle it sticks and my throttle plate doesnt advance. I cant find any other evinrude within 10 years that has these plates. I can post piccs if needed but basically if you type in 15504C into marineengine.com or somewhere and look at magneto assembly....the parts underneath the magneto plate to the block are different and I cant remember how they went together. I need some help. Ive bought a manual online and still cant find anything. I can post pics but im sure somebody knows what im talking about. These magnetos couldn't have had more than a couple ways they mount all together and spin. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance and I hope I gave enough information.

green_head_getter

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1975 15hp Evinrude Reassembly of Magneto Help

ok the Stator plate and the stator plate support bearing.....I dont have that on mine and I cant find a model of an engine that has the mounting system that I have.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

ok the Stator plate and the stator plate support bearing.....I dont have that on mine and I cant find a model of an engine that has the mounting system that I have.

????? Exactly what don't you have???? You won't have a #20 "Stator" because it is only used on electric start models. Certainly, you must have the plastic #44 "bearing" don't you?. Anyway, the picture accurately shows how it is supposed to look.

I can tell you this: Those motors gave dealers fits when brand new. We couldn't make them run one weekend on a sailboat. The factory came out with a number of kits that were supposed to fix it, but didn't. New armature plate mounting parts were in one of the kits because the originals were sloppy loose. However the kit looks the same, just tighter (but still somewhat loose). I say all this to say that somebody may have home-engineered his own kit to tighten it up.

Rick.

Captain

Would be good to post pictures if you could. Best of luck. Rick.