Redoing The Deck Of My Boat

whadashock

Cadet
hey, im new to the site, im looking for ideas on replacing my floor. i have a 22 foot larsen, it has carpet down now and i want to install flooring that is low maintenance. i do alot of fishing and carpet is not the way to go. i would like to keep the cost down. but i also dont want it to fall apart after 6 months. if anyone has any suggestions i would love to hear them. thank you for you time. fred

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Redoing The Deck Of My Boat

hey, im new to the site, im looking for ideas on replacing my floor. i have a 22 foot larsen, it has carpet down now and i want to install flooring that is low maintenance. i do alot of fishing and carpet is not the way to go. i would like to keep the cost down. but i also dont want it to fall apart after 6 months. if anyone has any suggestions i would love to hear them. thank you for you time. fred

Is your deck/wood solid? Does it have any soft spots?? If so, now might be a good time to address it. I assume you have fiberglass under the carpet??

A few suggestions:

*Durabek-Very tough paint that has a non skid/rubber that goes in the paint.
Look through this thread..he layed down Durabek and put snap in over that.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=292511
*Vinyl flooring- Lays in like carpet
*Snap in Carpet- obviously can be removed if going fishing or want to clean off the deck
*Bedliner
*Marine Rust-o-leum enamel paint-cheapest route, but won't last as long either.

JGra

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have been fixing up a old fishing boat myself. I also did not want the carpet. I came across a piece of rubber duamond plate flooring. It turned out really well.

Picture069.jpg

Picture066.jpg

whadashock

Cadet

THAT LOOKS GREAT! where did you come across that, and how does it get installed?

backlashed

Seaman

Yes JG, please tell us more. That's awesome. I had seen the rubber mat puzzle edge tiles, but hadn't seen it in one piece like that. Great job!!!

JGra

Petty Officer 1st Class

It was a left over piece of a roll. The compay I work for builds rescue units and ambulance's. this is what they use on the floor. I am not sure of the vendor. I know its sold to the public also. you can do a search on the internet. I have seen it in 4 foot and 6 foot wide. Mine was 6 foot wide. I have even seen it sold on e-bay before. As far as installing, I jst used some 3M super spay on both side and put it down. Seem to be holding ok. I wanted to use something like that in case if ever had to come up again.

whadashock

Cadet

thanks, i actually searched rubber diamond plate on google and found a ton of sites. thank you for the import. how did you apply the mat? is your boat self-bailing?

JGra

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your welcome. I uses a spray glue to put it down for a not so permanent install in case it needed to come back up. Caepet glue would work good to. And yes my boat is self-bailing.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

JGra's flooring is indeed awesome, however I believe it is not necessarily made for outdoor use. I would do some research regarding it's UV resistance before deciding to go that route. It may not be an issue, and if you don't keep your boat slipped it may be a moot point anyway. I just don't want to see anyone end up with a chalky mess in a couple years. It does look great though that's for sure.

JGra

Petty Officer 1st Class

It might, I dont know. I quess we will see how it does. I plan on keeping it covered when not in use. Also for me, anything is better than carpet.