78 Aristocraft 19

Hello everyone,

So I'm looking to get into boating and I really like the look old fiberglass boats. I found a 78 Aristocraft 19 with hard top on CL. It looks to be in good shape. The owner says it runs and he will start it for me but being winter time here in Ohio I can't really take it for a test ride. So I'm looking for some advice on what to look for I have never bought a boat before and don't really know what to look for beside soft floors and holes in the hull. I wanna fix this boat up so it doesn't need to be perfect but I don't have a lot of money to work with so I don't wanna get in over my head. So and advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

Willyclay

Captain
Re: 78 Aristocraft 19

Welcome to the iboats.com forum! The members here are great and the experts, which I am not, can help you with any questions about your boat, motor, trailer, etc. The link below will get you to threads in the Aristocraft brand forum. You can search through those for some info. Also, you should post whether the boat has outboard or I/O power to help members prepare their responses. Good luck with that classic old boat!

AristoCraft

Last edited:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I wanna fix this boat up so it doesn't need to be perfect but I don't have a lot of money to work with so I don't wanna get in over my head. So and advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

Be forewarned!!! Boats are big holes in the water that you throw large sums of money into!... and especially older fiberglass boats!

If you don't have the purchase price for this boat and a 2 or 3 thousand dollar reserve you may want to consider something less expensive to fix up and maintain like an aluminum boat.

Aluminum boats are inexpensive, easy to work on, and reletively cheap to maintain.

I'm just sayin'.

Thanks everyone for the responses. It has an I/O. I originally started looking for an aluminum boat like my dad had when i was a kid "17' Deep V" but I really think the aristocraft is a super cool looking boat. I'm going to look at it Saturday hope everything looks good.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Thanks everyone for the responses. It has an I/O. I originally started looking for an aluminum boat like my dad had when i was a kid "17' Deep V" but I really think the aristocraft is a super cool looking boat. I'm going to look at it Saturday hope everything looks good.

It is a very super cool boat, but it may need a lot of work to make it safe and enjoyable... and fiberglassing materials are expensive.

... but if you have the time and can wait, you can work on it when you have the money because you don't have to do it all at once. If your budget is limited it may take you a couple of years to get it on the water, but when it is all said and done you will have a really nice super cool boat that will turn a lot of heads.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... If it's a Mercruiser, ya got something you can work with,... Do a compression test, at least...

A Volvo is hit or miss,...

If it's an OMC,... Run,...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome, Mr. N. Does the boat have the sliding hardtop? Most of these came with Mercruisers, but there are a few OMCs. These have very little wood in them. The transom, ski/cooler covers, a small piece in the bow and the seats - I think that's it. They have expanded foam for flotation and the interior of the boat is one piece fiberglass. I had for a few years and it was a good boat. Kinda wish I still had her at times.

Ya it's got the sliding hard top which is very cool. He also says it has a merc that he can start for me. So what should I be looking for with the boat it's self?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Ya it's got the sliding hard top which is very cool. He also says it has a merc that he can start for me. So what should I be looking for with the boat it's self?

Walk evey square inch of decking checking for soft spots, take a flashlight and see if you can get a good look at the transom to see if there's evidence of rot. Even these steps aren't a sure way to check and will only alert you if the boat is really really rotten.

Also check to see if the boat has been kept covered, as in he has to uncover it for you to look at it or a cover/tarp laying nearby. If it's in a garage, that's worth 99 points.

chris.j.marshall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You won't find any soft spots on the deck because there's no wood there, with the exception of the ski locker. As GA_Boater said, there is a wood core transom, but the stringers are composed of fiberglass and foam. What part of Ohio did you find the boat for sale in? I grew up in southern Ohio boating in my Dad's 79 Nineteen and hope to run across it again one day.

chris.j.marshall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If I were you, I'd go for it depending on the price and condition of the boat. Since you're looking for an older style boat to fix up, it's also worth noting that you can still purchase original factory parts at Aristocraft Boats

What I'm really worried about is the wet foam problem some boats seem to have. Is there a conclusive test for this?

23SX

Seaman Apprentice

My dad had an orange top 19 when I was growing up with I-6 165 Merc (the I-6 was the biggest engine they offered BTW), it was an awesome boat and I wish he didn't have to sell it. As the foam goes if I am not mistaken you would have to pull the cap off to check as the cap was molded to the fiberglass floor. The only section that is wood is the cover/floor for the the ski locker. I wouldn't worry about the foam unless the boat floats unevenly (like more on one side than the other) or is heavier than it should be. If it had a wood floor I would say check it but in this case I would not, I am sure someone will have a different opinion but its just my 2 cents.

Good luck and please post some pics, I will follow this thread!

Last edited:

Ill snap some pictures tomorrow. I really hope she's solid. I think I've already fallen for her. Lol

23SX

Seaman Apprentice

If its solid I hope you get it too! I really wish I could find another one in decent shape that still has the top and the side windows. I found a 140 hp blue one in NC a couple years ago but the ad just had email reply and no phone number, they kept reposting like it was still for sale and never replied to me after I sent 3 emails pretty much begging them to contact me. I don't think it was a scam they were still asking a couple grand for it in decent shape.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Nesch - Under the carpet, if it still has carpet, are a few places that look like patches. This is where the foam was injected. If you drill out the patch you can core sample the foam and see if it's wet. If it's dry, patch it up and enjoy. I doubt if the seller will let you test it like I said. Good luck.

Bomber Goober

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If its solid I hope you get it too! I really wish I could find another one in decent shape that still has the top and the side windows. I found a 140 hp blue one in NC a couple years ago but the ad just had email reply and no phone number, they kept reposting like it was still for sale and never replied to me after I sent 3 emails pretty much begging them to contact me. I don't think it was a scam they were still asking a couple grand for it in decent shape.

not trying to push this thread off topic but i saw this while browsing CL. Side windows appear to be missing but who knows.
aristocraft 1960 with trailer

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

See if you can find out what the original weight of the boat was . If you have wet foam it will be significantly heavier
Some of the best boats built according to my research! I would'nt hesitate to buy and restore it if I liked the styling etc...