borg warner coil/auto zone version

yourkiddin

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok so i have read all the trouble shooting post, now if someone could just tell me which model vehicle i can go to auto zone and request a coil for. now i know theres a possibility theres not one. anyway id like to try. its a 2.3 liter ford 4 cylinder. it uses and external resister. ive done this with the starter like 5 years ago and i forget what vehicle i used. i just dont want to order online and wait a week or two. the one thats on it now is a borg warner. probably the original.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: borg warner coil/auto zone version

"Oh no, not again." said the bowl of petunias....

yourkiddin

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok so now im totally convinced that the borg warner coil that is on it was not original. that thing is like 194.00, and you folks that have inboard/outbourd boats have never put a differant part on your engine. some parts just wont cross referance. but a marine starter is like 200.00 and my ford starter was 40.00. my boat never takes on a drop of water and ive had it on there at least 5 years. the relays also ford cross referance. the ones for the ignition and tilt and trim. if you have deep pockets and are the restorer type im with you. but im just your average weekend boater with maybe a 2000 dollar boat just having some fun on the water.

betayv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

hi there go to NAPA and ask the counter men for a ignition coil marine used to be used with external resistor, he will have to check a echelin book that is the brand is good coils and no bad price.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

"Oh no, not again." said the bowl of petunias....

Yup <sigh>

"But golly-gosh, marine parts are so much more expensive than automotive. It's all just a rip-off, you know."

"Uh, marine electrical parts are spark-protected. As in, your boat = engine and fuel and vapor in close proximity in an enclosed space?"

"Oh, bushwa, I'll be just fi...<BOOM!>"

yourkiddin

Petty Officer 1st Class

1999 Chris Craft 240 Express
5.7L Volvo-Penta w/Duo-Prop
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi uhh like i said, when ur pockets run deep you buy those expensive parts. but i will just continue to use my blower to get rid of those fumes. in the mean time thanks betayv. thats all i was asking.

Bondo

Staff member

but i will just continue to use my blower to get rid of those fumes.

Ayuh,... swappin' parts is 1 thing,... Courting Disaster is quite another...

Automotive Starters in No way belong on a boat...

Hope you keep your Insurances paid up,.. Your widow will apprecate it...:rolleyes:

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Silly comment. Wealth is a relative term. You must be doing okay yourself to own a boat. I'm far from rich (do note that neither of those posessions have the year "2010" next to them)... and it took me 56 years to get where I am.

Even when I was running my 1985, it didn't leave the dock unless I could afford to maintain it properly. It sat there once in awhile, too, until I saved up the bucks.

You're gonna do what you want anyway, so I'm finished. Hope you live long enough to gain some wisdom. Have a nice day.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Auto starter? Two words:

Dangerous
STUPID

...just because YOU don't understand the difference, doesn't mean there isn't one. Time to man up and stop half assin' your repair work because you got in over your head financially.

Zeker

Cadet

To all of us out here who occasionally buy used boats: Be sure to ask the question about who maintained that used boat. If it's the owner, the next question should be who supplies the engine electrical parts. Hopefully, the seller will own up to the automotive parts and allow the next owner to swap them and avoid a disaster. If you need more input just ask your boat insurance adjuster.

meesh

Petty Officer 1st Class

After the explosion the insurance company will investigate. When the automotive starter is found the claim will be denied. You will be held liable for any damages, injuries, and God forbid deaths.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

After the explosion the insurance company will investigate. When the automotive starter is found the claim will be denied. You will be held liable for any damages, injuries, and God forbid deaths.

Then we can whine about deep pockets...

Lodgepole

Petty Officer 1st Class

Then we can whine about deep pockets...

I replaced a coil on a OMC 1992 3.0 with an automotive coil for $18. Coil was identical except color. Some marine parts are necessary and some are big time jacked up price B.S.

yourkiddin

Petty Officer 1st Class

i do respect all your guys opinions and experiance on here. i have never been able to use auto parts on an outboard. this 2.3 liter is nothing more than a ford motor in a boat. but come on remember all the old hot rods you worked on when younger. cant tell me you have not seen a fire under the hood of a car also. mostly do to a small fuel leak and arc from a spark plug. if you think i want blown up or even burnt you are crazy. on the subject of finacially drowning, far from it. now maybe guilty of being a tight wad. i just got done putting on the marine grade tune up kit with the exception of the 21 dollar coil. and it runs like a champ. oh yea i had a buddy that bought a new 95 procraft. as we were riding it caught fire. not sure why but it was scary.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

come on remember all the old hot rods you worked on when younger. cant tell me you have not seen a fire under the hood of a car also. mostly do to a small fuel leak and arc from a spark plug. if you think i want blown up or even burnt you are crazy.

I'm not going to bust your chops here - all that does is make people defensive and less likely to change their minds.

BUT.

You are really making the point for us. Fires do happen. The big difference between a car and a boat is that the fumes, etc have nowhere to go. Hence the words like "boom."

You're fine with an automotive coil. But you really ought to remove the starter and have it replaced with a marine starter. At the very least take it to a reputable shop that rebuilds marine starters and have them look at it.

Your call... but I would hope that you would think about what you are doing.

Bondo

Staff member

i do respect all your guys opinions and experiance on here. i have never been able to use auto parts on an outboard. this 2.3 liter is nothing more than a ford motor in a boat. but come on remember all the old hot rods you worked on when younger. cant tell me you have not seen a fire under the hood of a car also. mostly do to a small fuel leak and arc from a spark plug. if you think i want blown up or even burnt you are crazy. on the subject of finacially drowning, far from it. now maybe guilty of being a tight wad. i just got done putting on the marine grade tune up kit with the exception of the 21 dollar coil. and it runs like a champ. oh yea i had a buddy that bought a new 95 procraft. as we were riding it caught fire. not sure why but it was scary.

Ayuh,... No kiddin',...

Gas fumes are heavier than air,+ sink into the bilge, rather than blown down the road....
That's Why starters are 1 of the Most Important things Not to cheat on....

The Coil,... It don't care....