Buying a new boat this spring

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forrums. I will be buying an inflatable this spring (March hopefully) to fish and take the family out on a couple of local lakes, the main one down the street is about 10 acres and the larger is about 150. Originally I was planning on getting the 4 person Sevylor fish hunter, would have been perfect for myself and maybe one other person for fishing. However, my wife insisted that if I'm going to spend $500 on a boat I need to get one that I can take my family out on and enjoy so.... Together we decided on the Intex Excursion 5, almost entirely because of the space. I intend on building a floor for it (1/2 plywood and outdoor carpet) and building a battery box/storage bin/drivers seat on the back. However, I'm stuck on which motor and battery to use. For the money I cant find anything new that beats the $99 Minn Kota 30# but I've seen a few that went with the Sevylor 18# because of it being lightweight and using a smaller battery. I'm still leaning toward the MK but I dont know what size battery I need for it. Most of the time I probably wouldn't run the motor anymore that 2 hours per outting but when fishing the larger lake I dont know, maybe up to 4 or 5 hours. Anyhow, what do you guys think of the set up and battery? I would like to get something better than the Intex but $ wont really allow it, I may possibly be able to later purchase a small fish hunter just for myself but not right now. Any thought/comments would be appreciated!

mrdrh99

Re: Buying a new boat this spring

So, starting on my floor going to lay a tarp down, then I built a grid with 1/2" pvc, not so much for a rigid support but to help distribute the weight a little. It's quick to put together and break it back down. The floor itself is 1/2" 3ply, I think between the pvc and the 1/2"ply it will flex just enough but be stable. I will be cutting to fit in the next day or two, and adding outdoor carpet. I'll update with pics step by step.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

:welcome: I tried to watch the video but it said it was private so couldn't watch it

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Looks like you put a lot of thought into the construction. I might be a little bit concerned about a solid floor tearing through the Mil thickness in that style of inflatable. Maybe test it out before you put the motor on it? How many air chambers does it have? If that hard floor pokes through the side do you loose flotation?

mrdrh99

Taz, I have done lots of research on this type of floor. Particularly the Intex Seahawk 4. I have read Amazon reviews and seen You Tube videos of this being done. So, with that info, plus the fact that my Excursion is actually an even thicker mil than the Seahawk, I feel I'm safe. Also, whereas most people doing this place the solid floor directly on the soft bottom of the boat, I have added 1" PVC tubing to strengthen and help distribute the weight. The ends of the pvc are wrapped in the same styrofoam insulation that the edges of the floor are, so there are no sharp edges touching the boat anywhere. The Excursion 5 has 3 air chambers and I would imagine that even if a hole were to be torn in the bottom only a minimal amount of water would enter the boat because the other 2 chambers are very large forming the inner and outer hull (sides). The boat is coast guard approved.

mrdrh99

I also just finished putting outdoor carpet on the two floor pieces.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds good. I just wanted to make sure it had multiple air chambers so if somehow a sharp edge pierced through the insulation of the flooring or pvc and did cut a hole in the side it wouldn't sink you. Best of luck with it!

aarichards1

Recruit

Saw your video, looks great, really liked the seat. Just bought an Intex Mariner and although it comes with a floor from what I read adding a plywood floor will be much more stable, night and day one guy said so will be doing that soon. I have also bought the Minn Kota 40# trolling motor. Was going to try and get out this weekend to try things out but too windy for a maiden voyage.

Did you get yours out on the water yet ? Did it perform as you hoped ? Would be real interested to hear how things went.

rattbones

Cadet

Wow, great work man. I've been thinking about doing the same thing to mine. Got it last year and love the size, but a real bugger to row and fish from without a hard floor. Let us know how your first water test go's

mrdrh99

Hey guys, i have a video up of it on the water now, very stable and that 30# MK motor moves it way quicker than i ever thought it would! When this one dies i think I'm going to invest in the mariner as well, almost wish i had but so far I'm very pleased!

rattbones

Cadet

Thanks again for the videos, I've gotten as far as getting a used trolling motor, motor mount, and battier. Still need to work on the floor.