Jackplate Comparison

86RajunCajun

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey all...

I was looking to get opinions and stories from owners of both the CMC self contained hydraulic jackplates and Bobs machine shop jack plates...

Anyone who has owned or does own either of these units please tell of your experience with them, like any trouble youv had or reliability issues youv had with either unit.

Thanks
RC

4JawChuck

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Jackplate Comparison

You will have better luck asking on another forum like Scream&Fly or Bass Boat Central. They are both high quality products and I have not heard of issues with either mfg other than initital cost. Beware buying used ones exposed to salt water.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Owned / sold them all, none of the ones you mentioned are bad - BTW you forgot Atlas. Each have their good points, each have their bad. Personally I have a soft spot in my heart for Bob's but can't say anything bad about Atlas or CMC. Warranty-wise Bob's is top notch.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

You will have better luck asking on another forum like Scream&Fly or Bass Boat Central. They are both high quality products and I have not heard of issues with either mfg other than initital cost. Beware buying used ones exposed to salt water.

With all the misinformation on Scream & Cry I'm not sure why anyone would take anything over there seriously. There are some of the best on there but you have to know who is who and what to consider.

The folks on BBC are pretty good but most don't do salt.

The best plates don't really care about salt. They do care about maintenance. Factory support and warranty performance counts.

86RajunCajun

Petty Officer 1st Class

I pretty much was leaning towards Bobs Machine Shop for a 10" setback for my 17 ft cajun bassboat with 150 hp mariner v6.

I didnt see, but ill have to check if bobs plates have an external reservoir for fluid or internal. I really like the one piece unit design of the CMC plate tho. Not having to run lines for fluid and mount a tank in the boat is an attractive perk.

I will be calling around here soo, but first i need to get my restore on the move again. Got held up by winter this year as the snow was heavy in my area.

Thanks for the comments and tips!

RC

4JawChuck

Chief Petty Officer

I liked the CMC plate also mainly because it was self contained, its a popular jack.

ddrieck

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The Bob's Machine Hydraulic Plates do have a separate tank/pump assembly that mounts inside the boat with hydraulic lines running to the hydo cylinder.

Some guys like the separate pump/pump assembly some don't. Both are a high quality plate and will stand up to years of use if taken care of and serviced regularly.

As far as salt....it will not hurt either ones units...its just a matter of flushing off the salt and regular maintenance just like any other part of a saltwater boat.

The Bob's plates will give you more vertical lift than a CMC unit. Both will run there full stoke in around 8 seconds.

Seen them here for a good price:

http://www.dhcampingandfishingsupply.com/sthyjapl.html

http://www.dhcampingandfishingsupply.com/hydraulicunits.html

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

You might want to think about a 10" on a 17' boat.

ddrieck

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You might want to think about a 10" on a 17' boat.

I tend to agree....10'' is a bit much on that boat. 4'' - 6'' setback would be more realistic for any performance gain. 10'' setback will more than likely make for a poor handling and dangerous boat.

Last edited:

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I have a T-H Marine hydrualic jackplate. It is a 10" setback.
they own CMC an use the same internal hydraulic unit that CMC uses...but on their own style frame...

before they bought CMC they were buying the units from CMC!!!

that said I had a problem with my jack..the hydraulic motor went as well as the relays..

but the customer service was great.. they replaced all those parts free... my unit was less than 1 year old.

they have a high speed unit now days...I would advise you to buy the high speed unit...

I didnt think i needed the high speed...because i am not a super performance nut...but after using my boat all winter, I wish i had got the high speed unit...especially because everythings runs slower in the cold weather.

the bobs machine units have a seperate tank and lines that need to be mounted safely inside the boat where they wont get damaged and the hydraulic lines need to be run to the unit.

i didnt like that at all.

my boat is a duck boat and all my buddies could care less what they are stepping on when they move around or try to get in the boat!!

I heard nothing but good things about Bobs Machine jacks..even though they are more money...

the hydraulic jack is the best addition i ever made for my boat after the motor!!!!

some bass boats have 15" setback jacks!!!!!!

good luck

bob